4pm – Just got officially cut loose. On call Dr. was very quiet, didn't seem overly concerned about the few questions I remembered to ask. When I talked with him about my heart rate jumping he did talk about a genre of meds I could try. He suggested starting them here and holding me another day, but I told him I thought I have been away from home long enough. Will see if he makes any comments/suggestions about that in his report/instructions for home. (Just a side note as I have been working on this the last couple of hours Nurse D has come in and Dr R has recommended a beta blocker medication to help calm and regulate my heart rate. Nurse D doesn't think it will need to be long term, but at least while I am still finishing up oncology etc it will be on board. The big thing will be monitoring myself at home. Good thing I know a few awesome nurses personally…I am sure I will be asking them to help J)
I know that I will be going home with at least 3 other new scripts for meds from the last 3 days. That could be interesting to add things to the pharmacy we already have running at home….
I also asked if any of my oncology team Dr's had been contacted at all about me being here all weekend. It sounds as if at least one Dr contacted Dr M or Dr O from oncology. Nurse D did mention since I don't have a primary care Dr that all of my reports will go to Dr M. They are also working on scheduling me for a follow up appointment with her.
We have had a little more adventure this afternoon. I had been in awe that I hadn't set the heart monitors off or sent any nurses running today. I had to hold back the laughter when Nurse D came in with batteries in her hand…batteries for the heart monitor that was attached to me…oops. I did end up setting it off a couple of times, but nothing like it has been or like last night.
My other oops was almost a misadventure. Today was crazy busy on the floor I am on – interns, medical students, big bosses back on the floor, etc – so my cute CNA wasn't able to get back to me to help me clean up until late this afternoon. It felt so good to finally just clean up and get clean bedding. Even though I am doing tons better today, they like to be sure of where I am and help according to my orders. She helped me get settled in the bathroom and somehow as I was cleaning up I snagged my IV line, and partially pulled the line out of my port. I think if the monster tape wasn't holding it on I would have accidentally pulled it right out. Sheesh. IV nurse does a fabulous job that lasts through everything for 4 days and I almost yank the dumb thing out in a split second oops….Thankfully there was an IV nurse on the floor and they had her come take a look at it. I kept apologizing and she tried to reassure me I wasn't the first patient to accidentally pull a line out. She was able to get a saline flush in and a good blood return out and confirmed it was still in place enough to be ok. Nurse K did such an awesome job with it that I have hardly noticed it was there, but I have to admit I will be very happy to be at home and not hooked up to wires and tubes and things. I imagine I am going to have some lovely marks all over my skin though. Between the heart monitor stickers, clips and all the monster tape coming off I am going look all sides of pretty (insert rolling eyes and smirky sarcastic face here)
I am celebrating going home by ordering the meal that I missed out on last night because I got so sick. I am happy that I am feeling good enough to really enjoy it tonight. It will be nice to just hang while I am waiting for all of my discharge paperwork to be processed – probably just as long or more than when we arrived Friday. Good to know that my dear friend J is going to come and gather me up after her shift downstairs so Preston can stay with the kids.
There have been lots of ups and downs the last few days. Some have been more rough than it seemed we could really get through – for me and for Preston and the kids. It has been so hard for each of us to not be there to help the other, but we have had dear friends step up to the plate once again and show the true colors of the angels that they are. To C & R, I really just don't know what we would ever do without you. Of course, as always, we will look back over this long weekend and see what has been learned, what has been given, what has been shared. I imagine we will be able to come up with a longer list than we have paper. I will be sure that Preston comes in and edits this post to add his/the girls' thoughts too:
JOY IS….
*Having a husband who worries about and cares for me, no matter what
*ER nurses who have unusual and adventurous "other" lives outside their medical work
*IV nurses who rock at what they do!
*Floor nurses who are gentle, tender and understanding, no matter what
*Earplugs!!!
*Having a new room & friendly roommate
* The Food Channel when sleep just is not happening
* "The Hairbrush" Story – thanx J, for the gift of laughter you gave
*My own things to change into at the hospital (thank you, my love)
*Nurses who tease even in the midst of stressful moments
*Pretty good hospital food
*Looking forward to sleeping without getting pinched
*Having mostly the same nurses all weekend
*Having a sweet nurse who apologizes for neglecting me (when really she has been crazy busy)
*Having pain meds to manage pain we haven't been able to handle at home
*Finding a new pain med that I can handle AND works!
*Will keep adding to this list!
1 comment:
Nice to know I'm not the only weirdo who likes hospital food :)
Post a Comment