Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Chemo #8 - LAST ONE (Update #3)

Things have been pretty intense since Friday, so I am going to try to do each update for each day as I can to catch up.
 
My last post was in the middle of the night Friday and I wasnt feeling so hot. I ended up VERY sick and up for the entire night. 12+ hours of non-stop to the bathroom. By late Saturday morning we were making phone calls to confirm severe dehydration again, and making a plan to get help ASAP.
 
Thankfully, one of my sweet nurses was on call for the weekend, and she was willing to meet us at the hospital to help. It was such a tender mercy to know that she was willing to add me on top of her patient load, to care for me herself, and most esp to keep us from having to go to the ER (where they would have put in an IV line vs accessing my port which would have been horrendous).
 
When we arrived, I was not doing well at all. Paula got me all settled and hooked up to everything. She also grilled me pretty good about everything that had been happening. Crazy that I had gotten so sick, and so dehydrated again so quickly. Thankfully, between fluids/meds/warm broth, we were able to get me stable enough to go home. We also made plans for me to come back the next day since I was not as stable as she wanted me to be.
 
Once back home, I was completely dependent again on Preston helping me with every little thing. I was able to at least sit in a shower for a few minutes before just being tucked back into bed. Was hopeful that bed would mean sleep, but it meant scary side effects that I couldnt get to Preston to ask for help. When I come out of surgery, I cant move or open my eyes or anything. Had Preston tuck me back in, but then had that happen, I couldnt move or open my eyes, but had deep, sharp chest pain and a soaking hot flash. I knew I needed help, but couldnt do anything. Had that happen 2x over a couple of hours. I was really scared for awhile. The chest pain finally subsided just enough that I could move and barely get to my phone. Preston was able to come in and help immediately, and then didnt leave me for the rest of the night.
 
I was so thankful that he was there, so thankful that nothing more happened for the night.

No comments: