Tuesday, October 28, 2008

VOTING IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT

I liked today that a friend posted what she called "blithering" - that is prob where I am at today too....so bear with me that this is probably more of a "get things out of my brain" and "personal journal" post. Feel free to read along.

Do you ever just squeal with delight when things really do go according to plan? Last night we had one of those - kids were helpful and productive, everyone was home for dinner-at the table, everyone was polite at dinner, we got house jobs done (mostly), we actually held FHE with everyone present (my boys tend to go into meltdown mode and end up in their room), we had family prayer with everyone present, I found time for studying my scriptures (ok, so what if it was in the middle of the night), I was able to kneel quietly for personal prayer, without interrruption. Yesterday we accomplished everything that we have been counciled to do! We have really struggled at times with some or all of these things. Yesterday was a great day for moving forward in the kingdom and actually feeling like positive learning time was given to my children. Wahoo!

OK - thought change....

It seems I am destined to never sleep, and to have my own personal "quiet" time in the middle of the night. I woke up again last night and was up for hours.

I decided to use my time the last couple of nights to at least do something constructive, well sort of, I used my time to start on my voting ballot. This election has been a very difficult one for me. As I have watched and listened to and read about candidates and what they believe in or not, I feel like I am in the middle of the BoM when the people were choosing wicked leaders...

This last weekend we had the awesome opportunity to have stake/regional conference. Our stake pres (J do you remember D peterson? he is stake pres now - he mentioned Z in his talk!)
is such a sweet, wonderful man! We are so blessed to have him. During his collection of "mini talks" on saturday he stopped at one point to address us on the subject of voting. He expressed to us how impressed he had felt in needing to counel us in this challenging time. His counsel was emotional and straightforward.

I have heeded that counsel as I have been up the last several nights by re-reading D&C 134 - I have prayed, marked and re-read, prayed, marked and re-read. I even found there were words that the prophet joseph had used that I had to look up in the dictionary! (another great testimony that joseph was directed by the Lord - Joseph was so "unlearned" in the world's eyes and yet he has written for his time as well as our own in great language and words!)

I have been trying to work hard to follow the counsel I was given. I was surprised to find last night that I could find light where I thought there was only dark and I could compare the prophet's direction and counsel to those who would lead us today. I was able to receive inspiration, as odd as it seemed at the time. to make the best decisions to be an active part of my family's, my community's, and hopefully my nation's future.

I still have a long way to go though. It seems that all the literature I have received directly condradict each other, making it even harder to try and make some sense of everything. I will keep working at it though.

On a fun note - I discovered last night that Ka is getting her first tooth! I can see it and feel it and she is trying to "chew" on everything. It is fun and sad at the same time - prob knowing that this is the last "first tooth" we will have. She is getting so big and changing every day. She has even surprised us by crying "mum, mum" and holding her arms up to me to pick her up from wherever she is. She totally blew K away a couple of weeks ago when she heard "mum mum" - and turned around and said "mom, did I hear what I think I heard?" - yep - Ka hears everyone else say it 24-7, why shouldnt she learn to say it early! Those little baby moments are flying by - it is sad sometimes to know she is our last, but at the same time I love all the stages the kids go through. If we could only have both at the same time....

Well, guess that is all for now. I need to go see if I can get the little boys doing something constructive - instead of destructive - they have blown through the house and outside making more messes than I can keep up with this afternoon. Not sure where all their extra energy has come from, they usually do lots better than this. I have hardly been at the computer or house jobs at all today for them to be feeling neglected or feeling they need to get my attention. Just going to be one of those afternoons/evenings - yesterday was too good to last long, I suppose.
Thank goodness for early bedtimes - for all of us.

2 comments:

Hesses Madhouse said...

A little blithering is good for the soul, isn't it? Yours didn't seem like blithering to me, though. I don't remember D Peterson, but I know Bro. Huxford was going to be speaking at your stake conference. I hope they had nice things to say about Z.

I need to follow your example about voting. I haven't done it yet. Thank you for posting what you learned, so I can do the same.

I can't believe your littlest is growing so fast. It's so sad, huh?

Oh, BTW, I did call you about a month ago. It was silly, really. I had written a post and wasn't sure if I should post it. I knew you'd give me good advice. I think I decided that if I needed to consult with someone about it, that would probably be a good indication that I shouldn't, so I tossed it. Thanks for responding to your caller-ID and calling me back.

Ringleader said...

Brother Huxford was talking about deciding on counselors when he was called as bishop of the Monmouth YSA ward. The name of his first counselor was apparently easy to come up with. It took much longer to recommend his second counselor, and eventually he chose someone he wasn't all that familiar with. But then Brother Huxford said something like "Whatever success we had in that [YSA] ward was entirely due to Zan Hess" who was the second counselor.