I am wondering if I can get feedback from all of you out there....
I have our family blog currently set up as an "invite only" - but have had a couple family members ask if I could make our blog public.
I guess my main thought to keep it private is to keep my kiddos safe and that those who I invite are the only ones who really are interested in our family's comings and goings anyway.
The thought to making it public is for anyone to see it -and for other family members wherever they are to be able to look at it and share things if they would like to.
I would love to hear what you think and if there have been good vs bad for those of you who have a public blog? LMK -k-
6 comments:
So long as we're careful about what information gets posted (or more specifically, information that is NOT posted) I think a public setting would be fine. This would also allow those who are following links that others have on their sites to view our blog without having to request or remember their login information.
Another reason to go public is if you want to start posting your photography here.
We can always revert to private later on.
Or, keep the family post private, but add anyone who expresses interest in following along... and you could always set up a separate public blog for your photography!
You know mine used to be private until I ran into a woman who found my blog listed on a mutual friend's blog. She said she was sad she couldn't see it. After some discussion with these two women, I decided I'd give it a go. I'm glad I have. There are many things you can do to keep your anonymity. Kind of tricky. You have to catch yourself before you use your kids' names and such, but it's do-able.
I've made a lot of new friends by going public. It's been fun. I'm glad I did it. I hope I don't eat my words tomorrow. That's been known to happen.
Hi everyone. I have been involved in working with the Children's Justice Center and speaking at their training meetings for the past year. I just spoke at a Children's Justice Center training meeting last night. Because of the prevalence of using the internet to track down victims by name and geographical location, I would keep your family stuff private, and perhaps have a separate blog for public info that doesn't have any identifying information on it. Unfortunately, child predators are alive and well out there. By sending people who request your password a copy of it, you will be able to better control who has access to your page. People can have their internet browser remember the password so that they don't have to track it down each time they go visit your blog. I'd always err on the side of caution. :)
Becci
Rori
Hi its Emily Marshall Ed's little sister. Alecia invited me to her new blog and I saw your cute picture. First of your family is gorgous! Secondly, evertime you come to town it is like Christmas morning for Kenna and Ed. You truly are awesome friends. Third if you go to my blog http://houseofmellor.blogspot.com and then click on Amy and Nate under family. My sister inlaw set up this frog thing so you can see everyone that comes to your blog. It might be a good way to decide what to do. I am open but unlisted with blogspot. That way only people who know my address can get into it so I cant be a follower. I figure that way I can be soical and catch up with old friends and keep my kids alittle protected. Ed and my cousin Tom Patterson is incharge of the criminal judictice department for the state of Utah and he says 97% of the crimes against children are done by people you know. I personally just keep a close eye on my kids and leave the rest in the hands of the Lord. Hope you are enjoying the week. Hey since your getting internet savy join www.facebook.com. It is fun!
Em
Hi Rory,
I think you have some very good advice here. I like that you have it open just so I don't have to put in the password all the time. I would love to add you to my blog list so I can see when you have something new posted. With that said I will not add you to mylist because I know that I have given my blog address to people that you may not want to see what is going on in your life. And I want to keep you and your family safe. So what ever you do I am glad you have the blog and I can keep up with what you are doing.
Humming
Post a Comment