Saturday, March 19, 2011

When One Door Closes...

A couple of quotes have been running through my mind this week –

“When the Lord closes a door, somewhere he opens a window” – Maria, Sound of Music
“…If one door opens to another door closed, I hope you keep on walkin' till you find the window. If it's cold outside, show the world the warmth of your smile.” – Rascal Flatts

Doors are closing this week, and I am not sure where I will find an open window. Smiles and joy have been harder to come by as the emotions rage in tsunami style and I am working on trying to not get swept away and drowned.

Changes are never easy, in fact they can often be very difficult. Finding answers to those changes can also be just as difficult. I esp struggle with change, and I am trying hard to lean on answers given in a recent blessing that I received. I am hoping that in trying to follow those words, that sometime in the future I will find lots of open windows…..

After endless sleepless nights, weeks of thought, lots of tears, and lots of prayers, I have decided to hang up my camera professionally, and go back to being “just a mom with a camera”. Though I will have the website still up and running, at least for now, I will going back to focusing any posts to the photo blog. I will be re-focusing my photography on my family, and leave the business world to others.

A few things have led me to this decision. First is that I don’t like competing for work and friendship. Second is that I have come to realize that my work just isn’t good enough to be trying to compete and losing those friendships. Third, financially, our family just cannot manage the extra strain anymore.

In the last few months I lost several big shoots. Ones that I had my heart set on, that I had been so honored to be asked to do; only to be devastated when I received phone calls or emails to be told that someone else had been asked to do them instead. I became even more disheartened when I continued to see posts from friends who had also asked that same someone to do their picts. Friends who had come to me in the past, and who I thought were in the process of setting up to do shoots soon. I found myself feeling very jealous, angry, and hurt. I really don’t like the way it has made me feel, it has been very unprofessional and unkind. I guess I am just too emotional of a person to exist in the business world.

I never went looking for a career in photography, it found me. My personal purposes have been to pursue photography to share gifts and talents with others, to serve and to teach, and to share the gospel sometimes. I have gained a better appreciation and love of all of God’s creations, and never hoped for more than to bring joy to others. I have put all of myself into my work, hoping those experiences were as important to others as they were to me, that building relationships was part of it. I was giving everything personal to do my very best for others, but it seems that my work has only been special to me, and to others it has not been more than a non-personal business transaction. I recently had someone tell me that I should be tougher, that it shouldn’t matter what others think or do. But when I know that my work is such a big part of me, that it is me, when that is rejected, it is also me being rejected, and no matter what I do to try to be “tough”, it just hurts too much. If my work is not important or special to others, to me, it is saying those same things about myself too.

I have a dear, sweet husband who never tires of supporting my hare-brained ideas to pursue the business world to try to “be a support to our family too” – except my ideas usually end up costing our family more than is gained. I guess there is something to be said that this pursuit lasted longer than the previous ones…
In trying to undo the financial strain, I have officially resigned from the small business association I was part of. I have found that even though I have made wonderful contacts, and gained new friends, I have not seen my business grow as I had hoped. I have continued to watch the little bit of profit I have earned, plus family budget be turned right around to meet the requirements to be in the group. Though I have loved every minute of the time spent doing shoots for people in the group, I found that for my specific field, outside business was not happening at all. I have learned so many new skills, have met so many wonderful people, and feel that I was truly an equal to anyone in the group. I wouldn’t trade those things for anything. I hope that there will be an open window somewhere that will allow those relationships to continue….financially, however, it is time to close this door.
Photography is not an inexpensive endeavor. By closing this door, it will hopefully also alleviate any more strain on our struggling budget by not having to worry about keeping up portfolios or websites, or photo anything trying to keep myself in business circles.

I had this all written out before, words finally worked for once, but then one wrong key wiped it all away. This whole post, to me, just sounds so not the way I had hoped. I guess I just chalk this up to one more experience I have not been able to conquer. One more thing that I have given lots to, but have not been smart enough, or talented enough, or non-emotional enough to succeed at. I have told a few people lately that my only good talent is to support and appreciate others’ gifts and talents, maybe this is one final loss will get that in my head for good. I am only any good in a supportive role, only as a helper, only in the background, and that others will only ever need me to stay in that role. I should be able to be ok with that, maybe someday I will be. For now, doors are closing that will stay closed. I will fade once again into the background, and no one will even miss me.

5 comments:

Hesses Madhouse said...

Oh Rory! I know I am referred to in this post. I know I have been referred to in others too as someone who has hurt you.

I want you to know that NEVER was that my intention. I thought you had already stopped your business. You were so overloaded with health issues and homeschool, that I felt I would be just another burden to you. Plus, in another post, you said you were not doing photography for others any more. I actually read that post a number of times to be sure of what I was reading.

I'm so sorry. Please know that I am NOT out to hurt your feelings. I think you're wonderful, and I don't agree with your last paragraph here at all.

I appreciate your friendship and the wonderful support you've been to me in the past. We have loved getting together with you as you've come up this way. It's been a great blessing in my life. Thank you!

Ceana said...

"Maybe your reason why all the doors are closed...So you could open one that leads you to the perfect road..."

Firework- Katy Perry

Ringleader said...

Hope our family experience this morning was an "opening door" for you and the kids. Continue to develop yourself, your family, and your relationships. You are loved for who you are.

THE YOUNG-INS said...

I am sorry for the circumstance that led you to give up professional phoography. Though I have never used you myself, I think your work is beautiful.

And focusing on being a wife and a mother can't be all that bad, right? After all, it is what God's plan is for us beautiful sisters. :)

Love You Rory.

Kim said...

I'm sorry to read this post especially the last paragraph. I saw your photography improve and I know the love that you have for capturing special moments. I truly hope you will keep doing your nature photography I could see your passion for it when you talked about it and I could see that is where you heart always truly was.

Just because you can't make every talent into a successful business doesn't mean you didn't suceed. All we can take with us in the next life is the knowledge that we learn. I hope you keep developing that talent even if it is only with your family. You have more talents than just being a helper and serving others. You are a mother and a teacher and being successful at those takes talents and is what is the most important thing to be successful at.

I think you might have been refering to me in one of my comments when you talked about someone telling you to be tougher, but I only meant that others opionions should not be the things that define you. What should define you is where your heart is what you are trying to become and the kind of person you are.

You are a truly generous person who knows how to serve others. That is a talent, a talent not very many people possess in the world we live in today.

I am sorry your that this door is closing for you, but maybe instead of closing for good, it is just meant for another season in your life. I know that as much as I would love to go crazy with my business, right now my focus needs to be my family, that is the season I too am in.

Rory I wish you the best and true happiness, you truly deserve it. You are a beautiful daughter of God. I wish you could see how special you are, because you truly are SPECIAl. Don't underestimate all that you are capable of. I am sorry if I have hurt you in anyway, I have never meant to do that. I wish you all the best with your future endeavers and for success in finding other talents you posess.