Saturday, March 5, 2011

Some Big Changes

This week has been one that has included some big changes for our family.

Our first change has come in response to Colton's birthday check up. He seems to be doing well in many areas, and struggling in others. Our pediatrican set aside extra time to talk with Preston and I about concerns and solutions. It is good to know what we have coming, and also a bit overwhelming.

Our biggest challenges right now are coming with starting Colton on a new medication, and looking at adding another new specialist. So far, Colton has done amazingly well with the new medication. The only side effect that I am significantly noticing is in his eating habits. One thing that can happen is appetite suppresion. I am noticing Colton eating less and having to really cajole him to eat, even if it is his favorite things. It is something we are keeping a close eye on.
We are still in process of getting pre-approval for a new specialist. Even when we do get approval, we are pretty sure it will take several MONTHS to even be seen for the 1st time. We are putting this specialist in place because we are 99.9% sure he will be needed long term for Colton, and esp through teenage years. This new specialist is being referred from our pediatrician. He works with good people and has Colton in mind anytime we go through this process. The new specialist is in Albany,though, which is a 40min+ drive one direction. It could make things tricky by the time we get there, esp if we dont get in to see him until Summer or after. We will just keep working with the schedule, and be thankful every minute for what insurance will continue to cover for us.

The other big change has come in the form of new classes for all the big kids. We surprised them at the beginning of the week by taking them all to check out a local karate school that comes highly recommended. The boys thought it was great, esp as they changed into their new uniforms. The girls went into complete hysterics including gushing tears. They both panicked at having something so new. It was very unexpected for me that they would both react so extremely.

That first class went well, though. We came home and for FHE we talked alot about how class went, and what each of the kids thought, and felt and things that could be gained by continuing. Everyone had something different, but positive, to say. Classes went much better on Wed. The girls worked hard, and got some great exercise. Ceana even got asked to come to the front to demonstrate a new technique. The boys got a good lesson from Master Lyon about discipline and self-discipline and learned about "yes, ma'am, yes sir" - I am thinking I am going to like this a WHOLE lot. Ky was adorable and I wished I had a pict. I am hoping they might let me bring my camera next week so I can at least post some picts. Kels is still too young to start classes. We are working on a solution to allow me to attend classes with the kids and not having her be climbing all over me. She is so busy, and could use classes right now. It will be hard to have to wait another whole year for her to start. Hopefully she will pick up good things from the other kids.

The main thought behind enrolling the kids in classes is that we all, and esp the boys, need discipline. I am definately no "mother of the year" in any respect. Our constant state of medical concerns and ever changing schedules has left us really struggling, for far too long now. I know I have failed the kids because my own health has been bad for so many years. I have not been healthy or strong enough to give them everything they should have had before now. My hope is that as we all learn new things, go to classes together, practice what we learn at home, that we will grow stronger and closer, and be able to find a positive direction for all of us. That together, learning to focus, learning to listen, learning responsibility and taking action vs reacting, then we will get back on track, one day and one way at a time.

They have a great reward/incentive program for the kids. Respect, honor and courtesy are number one priorities. There is also the discipline, of self and in response to others. These are sorely lacking in our home (not for lack of trying or lack of expectations). The results have been quite positive already. By reminding the kids of thinking about "star" behavior, good things have been happening. Having these lessons come from their instructors and Master Lyon seems to be hitting home. Everything we do in class is reinforced at home. When the kids come in to class with slips from home that tell about "star" behavior, the kids earn fabric stars to go on their uniforms. They are praised by their peers, their instructors, and all of the adults in attendance. I have been very impressed that expectations are for all, not just the students. I am just completely impressed with the whole program and how it is run. I think it is going to be a very good thing for our whole family.

We will be learning lots together. We are striving daily to do all that is asked of us, and all that we need to do to meet family and spiritual goals. We are heading in the right direction. It will take time and patience, lots of both probably. I will update again soon. Hoping to have picts of classes soon too. I am also way behind on other posts, hopefully I can get on top of that too. Stay tuned for more to come....

1 comment:

Hesses Madhouse said...

Sounds like fun! Nice to have a positive change and something to look forward to. Not to mention the family togetherness thing. What a wonderful idea!

Oh, we went through the lack of appetite thing with Brevin's first medication. It was tough. His new meds don't seem to do that to him. I know I've heard of some herbal appetite stimulants, but it's been so many years, I can't remember them. We also never tried them. Hope things get easier there.