Tuesday, June 16, 2009

SO RIDICULOUS, IT IS ALMOST FUNNY

Ever have that feeling that all you are doing is running in circles, and that if you add one more thing to the already overflowing plate that you will go crazy?

I think I hit that point today when we were AGAIN at the doctor's office. It is prob about the 10th visit and 10 millionth phone call in the last 6 weeks! I am going to just name the few I can remember/most recent - I know there are prob more that I am forgetting, maybe just as well....

Let me backtrack a little, and you will know what I mean....

Oct - December - everyone had already been struggling with allergies/colds/flu/colton had ruptured another eardrum

December - March- everyone took turns being very sick and missing school because of flu and other viruses that kept kiddos home from school

April - May - colton ruptured BOTH eardrums 1 month apart and spent those weeks on antibiotic eardrops (with us having to literally pin him down to give the drops). Kids developed a virus with a fever that left both Ky and Kels covered in odd rashes. We now know that Kels probably had strep and we didnt know it (symptoms indicated Roseola because there was no vomiting). The girls ended up in the local ER Easter Sunday thinking they both had strep (low grade fevers, swollen glands, sore throats) - when really it was a virus that acted like strep - I didnt understand then why the dr kept asking us about fever/rash/throwing up....I do now

May - June - Colton got a fever/throw up thing - and then 2 days later got an odd rash on the trunk of his body. Two days after that I spent a full 24 hours with ky throwing up and found that 2 days after his fever he was covered in a full body rash. We hadnt been able to get Colton into the dr but did get Ky in that following Mon and I was totally floored when we found out that both the boys had severe strep - no complaints of sore throats at all - but all the other symptoms and throat cultures that definately were positive for strep. We have spent the last almost 10 days with all the kiddos on antibiotics.

Over the weekend Kels had what looked like bug/spider bites. They continued to show up until Sunday I finally called the on call nurse line to try to see what we should do - in the meantime totally freaking out that she has been possibly poisoned by the several spiders we have killed in the house this last week. We had the help nurse totally stumped. The "bites" looked better and so I downshifted my fears and casually brought it up to our regular nurse today when I called about something totally different - only to be told that it was very important to bring Kels in to be looked at because it sounded like something much more serious....

Well, it is - Kels has impetigo - a bacterial infection that has invaded her bloodstream (hence the continued sores on her skin). Is it contagious? - YES, of course it is! Though our dr was much more kind and patient than I was, and it is not serious or life threatening, I was a hysterical mess. I was not ready to take on one more thing and now have to also watch the rest of the kids for any sores. It will mean another 10 days of a more potent antibiotic as well as a topical ointment to try to get in her/on her 2x/day.

I think the thing that blows me away the most is that all the illnesses (but the 2 scheduled well child check ups) have all happened over the weekend - kiddos getting sick and barely making it to the dr on a late friday or having to get in on a Monday. We have literally spent MONTHS with someone sick or in the dr office. I continue to be so amazed that our wonderful dr and the sweet nurses in the office continue to be kind, patient, understanding, and know when to laugh with us even when we prob shouldnt be laughing. They have been so wonderful through every phone call and every office visit, esp on days like today when they squeezed us in because of a last minute concern.
One funny thing today though, as we left our dr told me we were "banned" from coming back to the office for at least a month - and that he hopes we get back on our feet soon. He is so kind, I just dont know what we would ever do without him or the sweet nurses in the office. We will keep our fingers crossed that we have a very uneventful couple of months until Kaeli/Caiden have their birthday check ups in August....here's hoping....wish us luck

3 comments:

Ringleader said...

You did forget one ... I had ear infections and needed antibiotic drops in both ears. Been on anti-allergy meds for the first time in years too.

Hesses Madhouse said...

Man oh man! What a time you've had. It has been a bad year of viruses. We also had the rash thing. I remember one of my kids getting impetigo a number of times while in Monmouth. They got to the point where they said that child was a carrier. We haven't had it since. So, I'm guessing carrier status has been revoked.

Hope everyone is better soon and that the rest of the summer is virus and strep free for you guys.

Denise G said...

Yikes, everyone in your house is a trooper. The next six months should be clear, since you have pre paid in advance all illness, right?