We have been in the midst of great turmoil about the kids' education choices in this last week.
Our current legislature has a bill in process that would pretty much close all virtual/charter schools in the state, as early as next spring or when school charters expire.
Today I went to the capitol to be part of a team of teachers, administrators and parents to sit in on a committee hearing. They postponed the meeting, and then convened and dismissed it in about 5 seconds flat - never holding the hearing at all, and not giving info of when it would re-convene.
I was so blown away by what happened (after seeing it done mult times in our current district) that apparently what I was thinking actually came out of my mouth. After the dismissal, the one rep that is fighting against the bill with us invited those of us who had come (many from hours away) to join her to talk and answer ????
As I listened I became even more disheartened, esp when she couldnt/wouldnt answer any direct questions from me. I know that I am very new to this situation, and no nothing about the process or people, but it seemed to be that I was the only one who became emotional about what is happening and what happened today.
The rep who talked to us pretty much seemed to indicate that the chance of the bill being opposed or vetoed was slim to zero. My understanding about what is happening and what looks like will happen is this:
1) The OEA, and other organizations like it are working through the Senate/House to ultimately close ALL virtual/charter schools and homeschool programs and force families back into their own individual district schools
2) If any of the ammendments are approved and passed that they will cap current enrollment of the school we are pursuing as of May 1 - 6 WEEKS ago.
3) School will be held through the next school year, but when the charter expires, a 2 year moratorium could be put on the school to close it for that 2 year time, and most likely forever
4) If by some chance the school is allowed to renew its charter that the enrollment will be allowed to siblings of current students only - no new enrollment will be allowed now or in the future
All of these things, choices made by other people who think they have the right to make decisions for and about my children, will take away our opportunity for the kids to pursue a high quality education, have a valid graduation diploma, or be schooled in a safe, appropriate learning environment where their needs will come before $$$. All these choices by wicked, selfish leaders will leave me to continue in battle mode within our district, to probably still be ignored and watch the children suffer great losses as they have this last year.
I was very emotional at the capitol, and probably didnt give a very good impression, but I dont understand how I can NOT be emotional when it comes to the wellbeing, education and future of my children. I have shed many tears today and continue to as I watch this "too good to be true" opportunity really turn out that way. Preston continues to be strong as he writes more letters and is in contact with the school weblinks and other parents/teachers. I have probably shed enough tears for both of us in the last few days.
I am not sure what the Fall will hold for us. I have been in touch with the kids' principals concerning the changes and the kids' probable placement in classrooms in the district. They have been positive and encouraging, but I often wonder if they are just seeing the dollar signs too....guess we will just have to wait and see. I am so sad to know that most likely instead of looking forward to school starting in August that I, and the kids, will be dreading it. I guess we just wait until then, and see what happens.
No comments:
Post a Comment