Monday, December 5, 2011

Rough weekend

Rough. VERY rough.

Saturday night Rory started feeling the onset of the fatigue and pangs of nausea. She starting taking the regimen of meds to try to keep that under control, which of course sent her to La-La Land. That's a place that seems like visitors ought to sleep, because they feel so tired, but in reality they just feel groggy and drugged.

Oh, and sick.

We were very grateful that my sister came and scooped up the three youngest kids while I had the older ones at an Army Band concert in Estacada. Sounds like the little ones had a blast, and probably wore out their family. Caiden got dropped off late on Saturday, too.

Sunday was just me, the girls and John so we all fit onto a single bench for once. Testimonies were great. Had the privilege of helping give a young man and his family blessings prior to a medical procedure later this week, followed by playing delivery boy for the new missionaries who had a bike box and exercise trampoline to be transported from Salem. Got back in time for the 1st Presidency Devotional, and sent the girls to the Messiah Sing-in (I have been sick for a few days so decided not to go). I didn't see Rory at all for the whole day, so I hoped that meant she was getting rest.

Unfortunately it meant she was feeling sick all by herself. Apparently the nausea overcame her about midnight and again around 5am. Our instructions were to call the Dr. office or ER if the meds couldn't control the nausea, so we eventually got word from the on-call doctor that she should come get an IV of fluids and the "heavy duty" anti-nausea. Unfortunately they couldn't squeeze her in until 1:30, so I had a chance to help the girls get some homework done while Rory tried baths, heat, ginger ale, rotations of meds, everything she could think of.

By the time we got to the infusion office she could hardly walk, and nearly yacked into the waiting room garbage can. They were running WAY behind, having received patients from Albany on short notice. Rory couldn't stand to sit up, and ended up laying on the FLOOR. I felt helpless to do anything, and was thankful when they FINALLY had a room open. We were both glad that the doctor's order and the medications were both ready to go, and were happy to see her favorite nurse, Janell, on duty.

An hour later she was feeling MUCH better. Shooting for high-calorie something, she asked for a cheeseburger (which she usually doesn't like) and fries, then asked for a small Blizzard. I guess with the "good meds" quieting her stomach she decided to try a cool dairy treat. Hope it works for her.

As I'm writing the kids are off to karate, Kelsianne is watching Charlie Brown, great-smelling dinner just arrived, and Rory is drifting back to La-La Land again. Hoping she can get SOME sleep this time, but glad she at least was able to eat something today.

Also hoping tomorrow is better than today, since all the kids will be here (they came home from my sister's about noon today). Also trying to get a little bit of work done myself since we still have deadlines at work. At least life isn't boring, right?

3 comments:

humming fun said...

Rory I was going to call you this morning I will hold off in hopes that you are resting. Give me a call or a text if you feel up to it.
Anna

Hesses Madhouse said...

I want to come scoop up some kids. Can I do that some time? What a blast that would be!

Ringleader said...

For those who want to contact Rory, sending a text or email is the best method right now. She doesn't get to the computer every day, but always has her phone handy. :+)