This morning was my company's traditional family movie day. They open the theater before the public open time, allowing CH2MHill employees and their families to have the theater to ourselves. The company also springs for a drink and popcorn for everyone who goes. This year I took 5 of the kids (Ceana decided to stay home) to see "Arthur Christmas." It was a fun show; probably one I'll have to watch again to catch more of the jokes, understand more of the British accents, and I'd just enjoy it again. Probably something to add to the Netflix queue. :+)
I had every intention of working from home this afternoon, but as usual, other, more pressing things conspired against me.
We did get a short visit by the Relief Society President bearing leftovers from last night's ward party. Someone was thinking ahead and used containers that could go straight into the freezer. Also got a visit from one of our nurse friends who spent some time with all the kids as well as Rory. We got her iPhone set up to view and edit our public calendar which led her to exclaim, "I'm so excited!" Most normal people might not have that reaction to gaining access to a calendar whose sole purpose is to communicate service needs ... thank you J!
A long-time family friend brought a huge pan of her famous, authentic Spanish lasagna (at least we think it's authentic ... sure doesn't taste like anything from a box!). Too bad Ceana had already left for the dance, because her best friend from all the way back in Kindergarten was helping deliver the food. Fun to watch the kids grow up; they change so much, but still retain some of what I remember from their "little kid" stage.
The evening was capped off with me having a date! Ceana has been involved in the planning and decorations for tonight's Winter Ball, and Rory agreed to let me take her over to the dance floor a bit early to be able to see the decorations and take some pictures:
They had set up a movie projector where "It's A Wonderful Life" will be playing (without sound), had an old-time popcorn machine, were offering to take couples photos, and more. Basically, lots of things for the kids to do who didn't want to dance, but everything was right there in the gym so they could stay together. Some of the leaders came in "theme costumes" from the 30's and 40's, including one brother in a sailor uniform. The kids are going to have a blast!
Rory decided we should test out the photo spot and asked someone to take our picture. She got uber-brave and had photos taken without her head scarf, but she did mention she wanted to think things over before publishing those.
On the way home we picked up the mail and found a stack of letters from my sister who is in England. The kids will have a blast opening up cards from Aunt C. on Christmas morning. The ORCA Parent Association board members also sent a thoughtful letter and some gift certificates to kid-friendly food places like Papa Murphy's, Subway and Roth's. Every day we are overwhelmed by the thoughtfulness of people on our behalf.
While that 1-hour outing was good for Rory on many levels, she was really worn out by the time we got home. Hope maybe she sleeps better tonight because of it!
Still hanging in there ...
2 comments:
Do you know how I can access the calendar? When I look at your blog for some reason it doesn't show up on my computer. Is there someplace else I can see it at? I really would love to help! You are all constantly in our prayers.
Anyone wanting access to our Google calendar should contact me via email: preston.baxter@gmail.com. You'll need a Google account, but that's something I can help with if you don't already have one.
Post a Comment