Friday, December 30, 2011

Half Way Done!

Feeling ok at the moment, so thought I better throw a quick post up since you probably wont hear from me for awhile now...

Today was Chemo #4 - half way done AND last of this round of drugs and meds! I dont know where the last 3 months has flown to, and yet I know where it has gone - it has had every minute filled with filling medical needs while still trying to run a household, and kids' school, and work, and military, and bishopric, and, and, and....Still here we are, half way done. Hard to really believe.

Today Preston got to be my chauffeur. It worked out well to have him just drop me off and then head to work (ceana went to work again today too). The drive down was crazy. It was raining so hard he could hardly see even with the windshield wipers on full blast. Huge monster drops and rain so heavy that on our way home we saw the rivers running extra high and many fields completely flooded. Crazy weather.

Today ended up being an extra long appt. Labs took 2 HOURS to get back before we got the ok to get going on things. We ran out of the house without breakfast, and I think between an empty stomach and nerves, my tummy was not happy. My cute nurse was able to find me some juice and some chicken noodle soup that made a huge difference.

Then came all the anti-nausea meds. Then came the 1st chemo drug. I always have to eat ice chips for 15 solid minutes with this one to try to reduce the mouth sores and other side effects. Lucky me Jill took her long break to come and see me AND brought me a yummy peach mango yogurt smoothie from the hospital cafeteria (they are SOOO good) and I got to eat that instead of ice chips! Yea for awesome friends and fruit smoothies to the rescue! We had a nice vist too. Thanx TONS, my friend! You are wonderful!

Next came the 2nd drug that I reacted badly to last round. My cute nurse needed to let it run over almost 2hrs vs the normal 45 min. I had tried to work on thanx cards, and read, but my eyes were really struggling today (I was getting blurred vision, and shadows on the print), and Janell could see I was extra worn out. She encouraged me to take a nap while the last round of stuff ran, and since I was all on my own today, I took her up on her offer. I ended up sleeping almost the entire time, and only woke up because the "finish" alarm went off on my monitor.

It was a long day, 830-4pm by the time we got home. Ceana & John got started on house chores and dinner prep while we waited for Kaeli and little peeps to arrive home from Jeffries. Christy was so sweet to take everyone this afternoon and the kids have talked non-stop about all the fun they had today. Kels' and Kaeli's favorites of the day were dino nuggets for lunch and glow-in-the-dark nail polish - sounds like the girls had tons of fun enjoying the nail polish in the dark. Boys of course loved every minute with the other boys romping and playing hard and watching football. We also got a surprise present too! Thanx tons, my friend, for everything, you are an angel! Love ya so much!

Tonight we had the fun of feeding our elders and an elder from the Dallas ward since they were on exchanges tonight. We have elders who have just arrived on their mission, and elders almost ready to go home, and funny thing - they are ALL from Utah! It was fun to visit and to treat them to our special new missionary dinner. I was feeling well enough to sit through all of dinner and actually eat everything the kids and preston prepared. That felt really good, even if it has just been for this one day.

Tonight John had a discussion too, and started on all the final details for his baptism. The kids are all getting SOOO excited that it really is just about a month away (Feb 4, 10am). It is going to be a wonderfully special day, because of John's baptism, but also because it is John's AND Colton's birthday. Lots to look forward to!

Guess that is all for now. It has been a good day. Lots of good things accomplished. So far, no nausea or side effects. That is a huge blessing considering what the last solid month has been like. I am grateful for all of the tender mercies that have been extended to all of us today. As always, we are also grateful for all of you who continue to give your love, support, friendship and service to our family. Will try to have Preston keep you updated this next week as I go through more follow up appts and scheduled trips to the hospital for meds and things. Will do our best. As always, we love comments too, so feel free to leave them, or email me directly if you would like to. Thanx!

1 comment:

Jill Tharp said...

Yipee!!!! Sounds like things are better right now - that makes me very happy - prayers and hugs always - much love Jill