Saturday, December 17, 2011

111216

Secret Santa Day 4: Candy-covered "Christmas tree" decoration. There were some wide-open eyes when that one was unwrapped!

Ceana was my accomplice again today, trying to get her some quiet work time. Unfortunately her time has been "squeezed" lately and she's quite a bit behind. Hopefully having fewer distractions was a help. She did get a major science test and a calculus (all are 2-day assignments each) lesson done, along with starting some English. I have a feeling I'm going to be the "bad guy" here soon when she wants to attend the next dance. I really hope she's able to get caught up before the New Year's Eve activity ...

Rory will have to report some of the details on her infusion experience. Apparently one of the medications (POISONS) caused some side-effects that were a bit unsettling for awhile. Good thing everyone there is so attentive and knowledgeable. The Dr. had ordered a 20% cut in the chemo dosage to try to reduce some of the severe effects felt this past cycle. I have been told that reduction does not reduce the effectiveness of the treatment, although it makes me wonder why it was so high then in the first place? The explanation seems to be they try to see what the body can handle, and adjust from cycle to cycle.

The evening was spent trying very hard to wear Rory out as thoroughly as possible. I talked her into attending the Live Nativity at the stake center, knowing it would require some walking around. After letting all 9 of the kids go (we had visitors) Rory and I started navigating the displays. Before we got to Isaiah I think she had talked to 4 people. Another family at Samuel the Lamanite. Long discussion at the Mary & Joseph reenactment. It went on this way THE WHOLE TIME. I think Rory loved every minute of it though, being able to chat with people and realize she was enjoying the cold air and just being part of the whole event. I literally (no kidding) had to drag her out of the church, away from conversations, because I could see she was worn out. Good times.

On the way home she asked if we could stop by the local "Christmas Castle" since we had visitors. I suggested a "drive through" but she had other ideas. The kids' mom got back from work at just that moment, so we all headed over to the local amazing display. Our neighbor spends weeks each winter transforming the front of his home and yard into display after display of electrical and mechanized Christmas decorations. There are nutcrackers (with guard shacks), huge garlands, trains, Disney characters, reindeer stalls, and TONS of lights. Tonight he was greeting visitors, as he usually does, with free candy canes. He also has fun trying to help guests guess which pieces are new each year. Tonight there was another visitor just down the street, a jolly older gentleman in a warm-looking red suit who was also greeting folks and handing out treats. Fun time of year.

Again, pictures for the evening will be forthcoming when Rory has a bit of energy. Maybe I'll hack her computer over the weekend if she's still down ...

After weeks of having her sleep rhythms disrupted, Rory went to bed about 9:30 and I suspect she might have actually gone to sleep. We're really hoping she can make it through the next couple of days with minimal discomfort (about the time the "real meds" are expected to last) and she has scheduled infusions of fluids and meds on both Monday and Wednesday next week. Glad my parents and brother-in-law are scheduled for visits, as we'll be needing their cooking, driving, and teaching skills for sure.

Having some fun while hanging in there ...

No comments: