Today was supposed to be more "normal" ...
Unfortunately Rory continues to experience discomfort and even unexpected symptoms. Last night she said her hair "hurt" so bad (it hasn't fallen out yet) that she wanted me to just cut it all off. It hurt when she rolled over on the pillow, it hurt when she got dressed, it hurt when the kids would even touch it. Unfortunately I knew that it was going to be extra painful for her, since when I cut mine off I used the electric razor and it was slow, and it HURT. And my head wasn't hurting already. So I tried to get as much as I could with the beard trimmer, then we quickly found that the regular electric was NOT going to work. Even touching her head with it caused her to flinch away. So I grabbed a couple of new disposable single blade razors and dug out some old shaving cream, and headed into the shower. Poor thing, even with the cream and going as slowly as I could she couldn't handle the pain enough to get it all shaved off. I know she's still bashful about her look, but I gotta say her head is BEAUTIFUL!
The nausea must be getting incrementally better, because she made it through the night without any meds. She did have to take one early this morning, but I think that was the only one.
I had intended to go down to the office this morning, and a neighbor had literally INSISTED on taking the little ones for the day and was going to stop by after dropping her kids at school. After some recent counsel we had not planned to use childcare today, but additional advice coupled with her insistence finally changed my mind. I really hate being in the middle of some of these decisions. Someone at work warned me of the loss of any semblance of control as we go through this ordeal, and wow is that ever the truth. I just hope I don't burn too many (any) bridges or ruin relationships along the way.
Anyway we were trying to get breakfast done and kids prepped for the day when Kylan decided to try another of his "power plays." Those who follow my Facebook might remember a post describing him sitting at the dinner table WAY past bedtime, until his dinner was finally eaten. Well, we had a similar situation this morning over a half a banana. When the kids get outright defiant and mouthy I tend to dig in as well. So it was a battle of wills ... and Kylan did not go with the others for the play date. Instead he sat at the table in front of a bowl with banana pieces for most of the morning. He knew he was making the choice to stay home. He knew that finishing meant he would go to the play date. So for over an hour I got work done on the computer while the three big kids worked on homework. From the other room Rory kept suggesting that I just let him go, or give him something else to eat. But my stubbornness would not give in ... he had been told to eat the banana before that cinnamon roll, but disobeyed and ate the roll first so there was no way he could be allowed to win this one. At all costs! Since all is fair in love and war, I of course couldn't leave it alone. First was the hot chocolate with marshmallow, slowly enjoyed at the table next to him. "I'll be happy to make a cup for you after you've decided to finish your breakfast." He was most certainly interested. Next came a bowl of Fritos. Third bribe attempt were a few fish sticks. Not only were they offered, but I brought them over and put them right in front of him, next to the banana bowl. I really don't play fair, but that kid is incredibly stubborn. (Not sure where he gets that from!) In the end, nothing I did turned him. Instead it was his inability to stop doing the bathroom dance. He managed to "save face" in that he never did eat the banana himself, but Ceana spoon-fed it to him. So as lunchtime rolled around he did get his hot chocolate, Fritos and fish sticks. Oh, and banana.
Let's just say that Rory won't be casting her "Father of the Year" vote with my name checked, based on this morning's activity.
By then it was too late for me to spend an hour to drive down to Corvallis, but fortunately I was able to get quite a bit done while still being here at home. Caiden got his stuff done and Kaeli made pretty good progress. So I guess there were other "good things" about me staying home today.
While all this was going on Rory slept off and on. We tried essential oils to help her aches and drowsiness. Checking in with her during the day she started talking about how much she hates the bed ... not the bed itself, but being stuck IN the bed. Mid-afternoon I was able to get her out to the couch to preview a bargain movie I picked up, the "Christmas Choir." She was still laying down, but at least she wasn't on the bed. She asked me to cut her fingernails (TMI) and she helped brainstorm some ideas for Christmas day. Her personal masseuse (may claim the title for this woman) came and did her pressure point therapy we affectionately refer to as Rory's "beating." But she drank her water and asked me to make an egg + bacon + cheese + tomato omelette. Glad she got something to eat finally. Not happy for her, that her stomach is protesting and she is going in now to pop a Zofran to try to keep dinner down.
Hope the big kids had fun at the Ward Christmas Party tonight. Haven't heard the highlights yet since Ceana immediately left to help do decorations for tomorrow's Winter Ball, and Kaeli disappeared as soon as she got home. But I suspect dinner was good, music was great, and the visit from "The Three Wise Guys" was a hit again. I kept Kylan and Kelsianne home to give the girls a bit of a break, and we had a blast playing "Hungry Hippos" and "Chutes and Ladders." It's nice to have that playroom put back together again so we can enjoy the space! And it's been clean for almost a whole week!
Tomorrow I'm going to HAVE to put in some time for work since we have a major deadline coming up and we'll have a few extra bills to take care of over the next few months. Really need to take advantage of the current availability for working overtime if I can. Probably means working some late nights and Saturdays when the girls are caught up on school. Perverse incentive for getting caught up - dad gets to stay at work longer and they get more babysitting hours. We'll make it work somehow.
Thanks again to those sending texts, emails, and other good vibes; we're saving those "extra" notes and messages to be read again during future weeks that will be similar to this one. Thanks, too, to those who keep asking what they can do to help. My standard answer is going to be to steer people to the public Google Calendar, where volunteers are welcome to sign up for whatever they feel they want to do, whenever they are available. It's a by-invitation-only calendar, so anyone local who's interested should shoot me an email. Happy to show folks how to use it.
3 weeks down, "only" 13 more to go. Hanging in there ...
No comments:
Post a Comment