Tuesday, April 26, 2011

More To Consider...

Just an update about my current health concerns.

A friend who is a chiropractor took time to come over this afternoon to try to answer all of the questions that I have had since we got my MRI results back yesterday.

Good news is that we may have answers enough to make a plan. Bad news is that it is probably going to be a life-long, pain/health management plan

He got on the computer and showed me images and video of what disc degeneration looks like. From my description he thinks that the results say that I am between stage I-II. Meaning that the disc is stressed, but not perforated. He pretty much said that a damaged disc is not able to be healed, only that symptoms can be treated and managed. He said that surgery is only an option in worst-case scenarios or if the disc has actually been damaged enough to burst open.

He asked me to request a copy of the actual MRI so he can get a better look at what the concerns are. After he looks at them, he can give us some better options for care.

He said that the cortizone shots are only a quick fix to deaden nerves. He said most medical studies have shown that over long term, the cortizone actually dissolves the discs and vertebrae. Not really something to consider either since pain is manageable now. I definately dont want to add to the problems.

His best recommendation from his experience and study is that multiple helps in conjunction with each other is the best way to start healing and manage long term care. Chiropractic, PT, and acupuncture all being done at the same time will better chances of stopping degeneration and keeping pain and damage managed better. He said there is a specific technique with chiropractic that he can do in his office (vs a specialist and thousands of dollars). He said he thinks that getting back on track with PT and sticking with the acupuncture are all good things.

It means adding lots more appts to our schedule for me though. Acupuncture would be weekly. PT 1-2x/week. Chiro for me 1-2x/week. Initially, to try to assess and get things under control would be a lot to add to the schedule. After a couple of months, those appts could probably be spread out and would be to manage vs agressively combat the concerns.

I am feeling happy and sad at the same time. Happy that we have had a second opinion that I trust, happy that we have more do-able options. Sad that I really am broken, sad that we will be looking at long term, even life long care for me. I told my friend how hard it is for me to feel broken, to not be able to even think about all of this without all of the guilt heaping on top of me, of all the extra stress and worry this will cause, about all the extra $ that we will for sure not have to cover all of these appts between now and the end of the year….

I still have not had any response from my previous dr office or from the PT office. Not sure what options we are going to be able to discuss with all that has happened. I may have to go into holding pattern for awhile until we can get a look at the MRI and get more questions answered.

There is also the continuing concern that my sleep apnea is getting worse. A recent go with another sleep med ended up being thrown out. It worked exactly opposite, keeping me awake most or all of the night, and feeling drugged and extra emotional during the day. When I am sleeping, I am finding I am sometimes staying in a side position, but REM sleep is filled with intense nightmares and I wake up with my heart pounding and gasping for air. I woke again with a sore throat, and knowing even though I was a sleep, it was far from being restful. We have yet to find a help that will allow me to sleep and rest and breathe. My body continues to reject meds, and non-med helps are expensive, and still dont resolve concerns. I will be stopping by my dr office again tomorrow to give them a heads up from this week. Maybe adding more of those appts too.

Just as a side note....I had my first appt with the new acupuncture specialist today. He is Japanese, and has studied extensively. He is also alot younger than I was expecting him to be. The first set of needles that went in werent too bad, I was surprised that I only felt a couple of them. The second set of needles - literally from head to toe on my right side - was a lot more difficult. Several of the "hot" spots didnt like having the needles in and muscles were really tensed. He actually had to remove 2 in my back because they throbbed so bad. A couple of the sites where they went in are still pretty sore. My right side seems to be feeling better though. There is physical relief. It just feels different.

I really had a hard time with being there again. My legs started trembling and I was very concerned that my body was going to start shaking again like last time. It thankfully just stayed at a small tremble. This specialist seems nice, and he listened to what I shared. He kept saying "interesting" though - not sure if I have him totally stumped already too. He has asked me to come in for weekly appts for at least the next month. Thankfully we have the medical acct through preston's work, since TRICARE doesnt cover this. I am apprehensive about going back, but I promised I would try, esp after my chat with D today.

Hoping that we will continue to find more answers than questions.....

1 comment:

Hesses Madhouse said...

Yay for second opinions. You are a brave woman. I have needle fear. Don't know if I could do acupuncture.