Monday, November 8, 2010

What I Learned from TOFW

This past weekend I was invited to spend a wonderful 2 days at Time Out For Women with a very good friend and her family. I can't even begin to describe all of the laughter, tears, and inspiration that this experience brought. I am going to include some stuff here. I may add more soon too. For now, though, these are some of the things I learned this weekend:

Going out to dinner and to a women's conference with a bunch of AMAZING ladies is a great way to spend an evening!
Michael McClean is an AWESOME performer and even better in person! So is Hillary Weeks - and she is SO gorgeous! They are both also very inspiring and funny:
Things I learned from MM:
1) His voice is STILL the same after all these years, so incredible
2)According to his mom, there is only one problem in life - there is no background music!Where is the mood music when you really need it?
3)It is perfectly ok (and a season of life everyone has) to have Family Home Moments and children whose names are "Gimme, Lemme Have It, and Smine!"
4)Happiness isnt something that awaits us, it is here right now in the magic of every moment
5)Watch for unexpected gifts, and be in tune with the spirt in the moment and find the little things that make you smile
6) It is ok to try again, to try something new, to just keep trying. (Personal inspiration DOES come, even in the midst of 2700 women, more to be journaled soon)

Things I learned from HW:
1) When the spirit speaks, obey with exactness (hilarious story about a store bought chicken)
2) Heavenly Father knows us and will be willing to be as much of a part of our life as we will LET Him, in things big and small
3) There is a funny song for every season of life: (housework, teenagers, whining little peeps)
(Ode to Laundry) "Climb every mountain, sort every load. If you're alive and breathing, there are clothes to fold"
4) We forget about the good things we've done, the tiny victories, the good changes we've made. He looks on the heart and fills in the missing pieces. He won't forget what we have done. As the day comes to a close, look through the mirror of His love and He will show us all the good we have done.
5) The Savior gives and takes - He gives peace and takes heartaches
6) When you get in over your head, if you give everything you can, He will take what you can offer and magnify and multiply His help, and our blessings.
7) Remember to show gratitude for all the little things you can, and do, give, and for all of the great things that Heavenly Father can do with those little things. "Through small and simple things, great things shall come to pass"
8) Do not notice the gifts you don't have, but notice and show gratitude for gifts you have been given. To be able to appreciate and to say & show gratitude for OTHERS' gifts is a special gift too. (just for me)
When you are among your sisters, no one cares if you have make up on or have your hair done, everyone is just happy to be together
Feeling welcome, included and loved by women who were once strangers, but are now sisters, is one of the best feelings in the world!

Things I learned from Ardeth Kapp:
1) When you have hope in your heart, things look a little bit different
2) I have a photographic memory, just not same day delivery
3) You can't go back and make a brand new start, my friend. But you can start from here and make a brand new end.
4) Faith in place of fear, Hope in place of heartache, Charity in place of contention
5) The scriptures are like letters from hme with a personal message to help us rejoice
6) D&C 6, Alma 37:37
7) Selective Neglect - I select the things I am going to neglect so I dont neglect the things that I select (choosing good, better, best)
8) Hope gives us eternal perspective and courage

Things I learned from Mark Mabry (Reflections of Christ)
1) I need to know the BofM better. How do I feel, how does it apply to me?
2) The touch of a woman is possibly the most powerful thing to a man (or child)
3) I know that my husband (and the Savior) love me because they know the worst things about me, and yet they are still here
4) Find the courage and hope to "put it all out there" to the Lord and He will help make life that much better and you will find the power in yourself that has been dormant
5) 3 Nephi 17

Things I learned from Merilee Boyack
1) Think of trials and challenges as "Strengthening Opportunities"
2) Choose to have a positive attitude - when all else is out of control, the only thing you have in your control is your attitude
3) Choose to be cheerful - a good, positive attitude can physically save your life.
4) Choose to have hope in God and to trust in His will - Pres Uchdorf "...He will answer our prayers perfectly and in the perfect time...", Elder Holland "...attitude can open or close the doors to help..."
5) Choose to be faithful - look to the scriptures for examples (abraham, JS) and hold on no matter what. Remember the things that you do know, and that will be enough
6) Choose to accept suffering - there are things to be learned that can't be learned any other way. It is the best way to become who He needs me to be. I can learn more empathy for the Savior's purpose and to purify heart and soul. Suffering should not be an unwelcome thing
7) Choose to be grateful - your attitude directly effects your physical healing. Take every opportunity to show gratitude for every little thing. He will bring joy to your life and a bounce to your step
8) Choose to let Him bear our burdens - He can give us more than we can handle so that we will turn to Him, so we will go to Him. When we are done and we can't handle any more, He reminds us that we aren't supposed to handle it all. Burdens will not be removed, but they will be made bearable.
8) Choices should be motivated by the love of the Savior, with wisdom and gentleness

Things I learned from Emily Watts
1) Thank goodness for smart alec questions and the gift of laughter
2) We all have the capacity to plan, but brain cells die, and the one word that makes them die is "mom" (esp when repeated a gazillion times and in ever increasing octaves)
3) It's been lovely, but I have to scream NOW!
4) It is ok to abandon some hopes - sleep, being in charge of yourself, not have nice things, etc (but it is also ok to mourn these things as you work through seasons of life)
5) Always keep Mother Hopes -
a)children CAN improve, grow and progress - the days do fly by, even when moments seem very long. It is the little things that matter, kiddos do learn and grow.
b)a mother's work is eternal and important - faith is believing a principle is true. Hope is believing that the principle applies to me. It is not about you, you are a part of the chain of eternity. A mother's love and work is a job for all, not just one
c)Heavenly Father will help you do your "mother's work" - don't get locked inot a certain way to work, situations and kiddos will come that will defy all the rules. Turn it over to Him, and LEAVE it with Him and He will tell you and give you what you need when it is needed. He helps in ways that are EXACTLY suited to you, your situation, concern and moments

Things I learned from Kris Belcher
1)Laughing so hard that your jaws and stomach hurt and you have tears running down your face is good for the soul
2) Heavenly Father loves us so much that he puts exceptional people in our path
3) Our trials are not trivial or insignificant, they are opportunities to grow, they are specific and personal to US
4) Strive for "Thy will be done", ask His will and then be courageous enough to live it
5) Find the courage to give the Lord your heart, mind, life, but most important your will
6) You can physically and emotionally be a mess, and still hold on. It can take a long time to heal, and it is OK to mourn
7)If we feel the Lord's warmth and light on our face, we know that we are headed in the right direction. If we feel it on our back, we need to make a course correction.
8)
L - Christ is the God of LOVE
I - Christ is the God of INTELLIGENCE
G - Christ is the God of GRACE
H - Christ is the God of HOPE
T - Christ is the God of TRUTH
9)It is ok to let worries go, to stop trying to do everything, to learn to laugh and find joy

Things I learned from Michael Wilcox
1) Look past the walls and giants and focus on the bounty of the fruit and bounty
2) Trials and challenges are sent or used by Heavenly Father to face our "Goliath's" in life
3) An exquisite sunset heralds the joys and bounties of the day. It brings with it the opportunity for rest and respite from the labors and trials of the day. It brings the promise that light wil come and will bring a new day, unfilled and unwritten. A sunset is a gift, it is part of life's eternal circle
4) D&C 88

Things I learned from Mariama Kallon
1) We live in a choice land and we are wealthy beyond our wildest dreams, no matter our current circumstances
2) Open your heart and let His will be done
3) 2 Nephi 4:26-30, D&C 84:87-88, D&C 31:1-6

1 comment:

Hesses Madhouse said...

Thanks for posting this! There were things you got out of this that I totally missed. I'm especially grateful for your Ardeth Kapp insight. Thank you!