Monday, April 6, 2009

SLC MINI VACATION DAY 1

As many of you know I was able to attend a photography workshop in SLC this past weekend. It has been full of adventure to say the least. I was so crazy busy with friends, family and the workshop that I didnt get any time to post - so I thought I would take some time now that I am back home and things are fairly quiet. As always - the posts are going to end up in reverse order but I will do my best to write in the details so it hopefully wont be too confusing :)

Before I left on Thursday morning I apologized to preston about a gazillion times for the condition of the house (major disaster) and the 2 little boys who were still fighting raging fevers & flu. The boys have been sick for almost a whole week and usually before I leave I make sure the house is sparkling....not this time though.....there just wasnt the time or energy to get things done with taking care of the boys and kels while everyone has been sick.

Because the boys were sick I got to attend my girls TMS Honor Roll Ceremony by myself. Both the girls made Grand Honor Roll this term - they both got straight A's - which they have both worked so hard for. I also was pleased and surprised to find out that they had both been involved in leadership groups such as WEB (where everyone belongs), Hands Are Not For Hurting, & G.R.E.A.T (gang resistance education and training) I knew some of the things that Ceana has been involved in but was surprised when Kaeli was also recognized as participating in the GREAT program. My girls just continue to amaze me with their diligence and hard work. They are a great blessing to me, and to others around them

When I got to the airport I had quite the adventure - it would set the theme for my entire trip. Many of you know that I dont fly unless I absolutely have to - which means I am not familiar with all of the new rules and regulations. I had my laptop bag, my camera bag and a HUGE suitcase. I lugged everything through the check in lines and hadnt eaten so I decided to treat myself to a fruit smoothie - only to get to the security check in to be told I would have to toss it before going through - so much for breakfast and the $5 I spent on it....I then asked about what would need to go into the x-ray scan trays and was told "just my laptop"......not quite. By the time I was done they had sent me and my bags back and forth through security about 3x - they didnt mention that hardware like external hardrives, shoes, cell phones, keys, bulky sweaters also all needed to go through in the trays.

I was feeling a bit grumbly about my drink and feeling really dumb about all of the security stuff when I finally arrived at my gate. I didnt have to wait long before boarding and was up and on my way. As I was walking into the plane cabin I heard someone call my name - which was odd to me because I was by myself - or so I thought. I looked up to find a fellow photographer friend already on board! We were both surprised and even more so that she had the seat next to her available. It was a tender mercy for me to not have to fly alone. We chatted about photography and our families the whole flight. We were so chatty that the gentleman next to us asked another passenger to switch places with him - which ended up being ok because the woman who ended up sitting there talked with us the whole way too. It really made the flight go by quickly and much more enjoyable than just sitting on a plane feeling lonely.

When I arrived at the airport I lugged my bags & suitcase to the waiting area where my sis-in-law came to pick me up. We then went and picked up Preston's brother at the UofU campus. We decided the campus was a great place to start with their family pictures. Their little guy has not seen me for a very long time, but he didnt seem to mind that I was taking his pict and we got to know each other again by playing and just having fun together. I will be posting more of their family session on the photo blog in the next few weeks, so watch for more to come!



After Little B had had enough of pictures we headed back to Preston's parents house and made a dinner plan - homemade smoothies (thanx Neil!) and Pizza Hut pizza with all the fixins (thanx Neil!) We had worn everyone out during the shoot so we ate pizza and watched the Food Channel and some other crazy tv shows. It was tons of fun to just sit and veg and enjoy yummy food and each other's company. Thanx tons to N&B for your kindness and hospitality during my stay!
Well, that is all for DAY 1 - will post more soon!











No comments: