Well, our Easter Sunday started out much more adventurous than originally planned. Preston left early like usual for bishopbric meeting and everyone here slowly emerged to start getting ready.
The girls both came downstairs saying their throats hurt and they had been awake during the night because of it. I got a flashlight to take a look and found both the girls with throats an angry red color and covered with white spots - lovely. Kaeli is running a low grade fever and Ceana has swollen lymph nodes.
I called our dr office to find out my least favorite doctor was on call. Her only suggestion was to drive to the urgent care clinic (45min+ from us) and they would take care of us - end of conversation. There was nothing she could do for us. I felt more like there was nothing she would do for us. This has been our consistent experience with this particular dr and I was really missing our dr and the exceptional care he always gives. Just our luck that the kids always get sick on the weekends he isnt on call....
I went ahead and called the Mid Valley Hospital in Dallas (10 min drive) to see if they would see the girls even though we were not local patients. Thankfully they said yes. I called preston in the middle of meetings and asked him to swap me places to take the girls in to be checked. As soon as he got home I took the girls to the ER to see what we could find out. The staff there was very kind and friendly which will definately make me consider going to them again vs driving the other direction to corvallis for something that is minor if we cant get into our dr.
Lucky us, we got to go to the ER to be told the girls have a virus/allergies. The virus they have mimics strep throat in almost every way. The girls have also both got allergies going which is compounding the virus symptoms. The dr said we will just have to wait it out and try and just treat the girls' discomfort - fluids, tylenol, rest, allergy meds as needed. They are technically contagious, but not to the point it will keep them from school/activities.
By the time we arrived home it was too late for either Preston or I to try to get back for any meetings, so we are putting a low key lunch together and I guess we will all spend the rest of the day resting and just hanging out. Today is not turning out the way I thought it would. At least we have a quiet day for everyone to just rest though - our sundays dont usually allow for that.
Not quite the Easter Sunday we had planned on - but we will do the best we can and just be glad for the time to rest and to be together.
No comments:
Post a Comment