Wednesday, April 8, 2009

SLC MINI VACATION DAY 5

Ok, remember how I said that adventure was going to be the theme of the trip because it started that way? Well, it also ended that way....
Monday morning dawned bright and stunningly beautiful - just my luck we were in the car and on the freeway during the entire sunrise....will have to remedy that in July....
Mom had made us both fruit smoothies for the drive and we chatted. She got me dropped off and I again said good-bye and made my way through security. Lines werent so long this time, though it was just as challenging.
I got down to the gate only to overhear the gal on the intercom announce that the flight would start boarding for some other state than Oregon - oh, no, not again I thought. I quickly checked with a couple other passengers around me to confirm what I had just heard - only to be re-assured that the adjoining gate was going there, not ours (16 vs 15) - dumb intercom - big whew!
We waited a bit, but I was glad to see my boarding pass put me in the first group boarding the plane instead of the last (like going from OR). I ended up sitting bewteen this cute young mother with her baby and an older "grandma". We enjoyed the flight together visiting about ourselves and our families. Thankfully the flight was uneventful.
After I got off the plane I made my way through the airport to the baggage claim service where I found my bags had been sent the day before. I lugged them out to the shuttle service stop and climbed on a bus. Thankful for the beautiful weather and that I was heading home - or so I thought.
Most of you know I have not done much flying in my life, so I really am clueless about most things, but you think I would at least know where I parked....but no. After 45 minutes, and 3 bus drivers, and 3 round trips to the airport and back to the parking lot, I FINALLY saw the truck and was able to get off the bus. The whole time my brain had remembered a #3 and parking by a lightpost - but I was between 7-8 and not by a lightpost at all!
After I finally got to truck I called my friend to drop off some baby things to her. She gave me directions, expecting a 30 minute drive to her house, I was off again. I did really well with the instructions until about 1/2 through when the road forked and I went the wrong way and ended up back on the freeway instead of in a residential area. I finally stopped and tried to determine where I was and where I should have been. Instead of wading through more directions, my friend agreed to meet me to swap stuff. Thanx J for being so paitent with me!
I finally called preston to let him know that I was on my way. I stopped quickly for food and gas and arrived home much later than expected.
Preston & I literally swapped places in the driveway as he was much later than expected at work and little boys were in need of attention and help. We still have sick kiddos here at home and life goes on as normal with chaos reigning daily. It seems like being in SLC went in the blink of an eye - almost as if it were a dream - and yet I know I was there and I have lots of photo work to keep me VERY busy in the next month to show for it.
For all the stress I went through worrying about sick kiddos and the crazy schedule and the girls needing to be in charge so much, I can say I did enjoy my time in SLC and the things I learned and the people I was able to spend time with. It is not an opportunity that comes very often and I hope that I will be able to use all of the new things I learned to help me with future photos and clients. The trip has hopefully helped me as a person to develop my talents and in turn be able to help me share them with others in a better way. It has also helped me be able to re-energize and be ready to take on all the new adventures as mom, wife and photographer.

No comments: