Monday, April 6, 2009

SLC MINI VACATION DAY 2

Friday I woke to it snowing HARD outside. I was surprised and a bit worried that the workshop shoot might be cancelled because of the weather. It was a quiet, lazy morning with just myself to get ready - not something that ever happens. I got a late start and it was kind of nice. I had lots of new places to go today and I am not the best driver in the world, besides having to drive in the weather, so dad offered to let me borrow his GPS. What a cool toy! Even when I made a mistake following its directions it just re-calculated and got me on track again. Pretty cool

My first stop was to visit a favorite aunt on the Bentley side. We went to lunch together and had a great visit. Thanx Aunt K for taking time for me! It was tons of fun to see you!
When I had first arrived it had not been snowing at all - by the time I left ( about an hour later) it was snowing big, fat, fluffy flakes - it felt like being inside of a snowglobe that has been shaken. Still unsure about getting to BYU for the photo session, not knowing if it was still on - I kicked on the GPS and was off again.

The description given by the workshop instructor was "a lovely place...where I do lots of my photo shoots" but when I arrived I would hardly call it lovely (ugly orange horse-shoe shaped building, muddy, weedy lot surrounded by cinder-block buildings with painted over grafitti in an older, industrial part of the city). I was sure I was in the wrong place until lots of other cars started showing up. I really wish I would have thought to take a pict of the shoot site - it definately was NOT what I was expecting.
The instructor gave some great beginning advice and instructions and then had everyone pair up and take picts of the ONE model she had provided and we took picts of each other. I found myself almost hysterically laughing as I took pictures of about 20 people with cameras as they descended "en masse" on the little model sitting/posing on the ground. I had kind of given up on getting any close ups so I enjoyed the time by taking picts of others taking picts.


One of the last instructions we were given was on how to take water reflection picts. There was this HUGE water/mud puddle on the site and with the cloudy skies it actually provided a pretty good light source to try for some picts. This was my attempt at capturing the tall tree and building behind it. Not so bad considering it was muddy water instead of clear
After the shoot we all headed to BYU for the PhotoShop lecture/presentation. I really learned a lot of small and simple things that I can hopefully now use with future photo session editing. I took tons of notes and I am hoping that will help jog my memory when I am ready to use them.
Overall I think that it was worth it to come, even for the small and simple instructions that should be very helpful and the opportunities it will hopefully provide as I continue to build my business.
After the workshop I met my cousin for dinner. We had tons of fun talking and enjoyed a yummy dinner. After dinner we ended up making a "spur of the moment" thought to go up and visit our grandmother - prob something I wouldnt have done on my own. We had a nice visit and I was able to show them both new picts of the kids and help brainstorm a picture wall that is still a "work in progress". It also gave me some good ideas of what I could do in the sitting room/studio here at home too.
By the time we all said "bye" it was way later than expected so N&B let me veg with them while we watched a show and then headed off to bed. It was a long, but constructive day.


No comments: