Wednesday, March 4, 2009

BOY GENES - WHAT ARE THEY THINKING?

For those of you out there that have boys of all ages, I am sure you can apprecitate the things that I am going to share.

I have 3 very busy boys but I have to admit that Ky is by far my busiest. At 2 3/4 years old he can be a whirlwind, a mystery, and a gut busting riot. Recently he has been cause for more laughter and more concern than ever.

Ky has been dubbed with a new nickname - "spiderman". The child can literally climb anything he can get near. Last week Colton came to tell me that Ky had climbed off his bed (he has the top bunk at the moment, that may change soon...) and onto the TOP of the free-standing closet in the boys room. That freaked me out to say the least, as the closet almost reaches the ceiling. His other favorite place to climb is on top of the toy kitchenette in the playroom, which sits right in front of the window. I am thinking I will be using Spring break to re-arrange lots of furniture.

This last week we made some cookies and had left the pan on the top of the stove with some leftovers for after-school snacks. I was working in the office and I thought Ky was playing in the other room. I happened to walk into the kitchen to find all but 2 cookies gone and Ky proudly pointing to his now chocolate covered mouth and telling me "cookie". Those cookies should have been out of reach, and I cannot even guess how he got up to them. Needless to say there were no after school cookies for the rest of the kids.

A couple of days ago I kind of got my answer to how he probably got to the cookies when I saw Ky reach up and grab the countertop and literally scale the cupboard door by clinging to it with his toes and climb his way up to whatever it was he thought he needed. I also watched as he climbed the cupboard drawers one at a time, again digging in his toes to the tiny space between each drawer. He is still so little, even for being 2. Apparently he is using his lightweight frame to his advantage these days. I am going to need to be more careful about what I leave out on the countertops now I know how he is getting to things.

Besides being a spiderman, he has also become very efficient at finding anything he can stand on or stack up to get to things. He will find the step stool, the piano bench, the office chair, the empire, anything he can get to help him get higher than he should. If there are snacks he will always go for those first, but his other conquests have been getting down multiple DVD's from the entertainment center's highest shelf and undoing them from their cases, turning on or off ALL of the light switches in every room, getting Kaeli's nick-knacks off her bedroom shelf, and getting to the mac & cheese in the storage room. I think I have moved things to a safe level only to find that he can get to things anyway.
Thankfully we still have ONE thing he can't get to - the security hook on the front screen door. He can undo every doorknob and lock in the house, except that one. Here's hoping he doesnt for a VERY long time.

Being a 2 year old always holds its moments of laughter and tears too. He seems to swing from one to the other in a moment's notice and often times causes me to do the same.
Awhile ago Preston happened to be home with us one evening. Caiden came down to the kitchen to inform me that Ky and Colton were happily playing in the playroom - both with tinker toy sticks up their noses. I was already over tired and struggling that day, I knew in my emotional state that I could not stop laughing long enough to go up and discipline the boys. I ended up having to send Preston upstairs to remind the boys about proper play. Anyone who knows me knows that when I get over tired and something sets me into laughing I usually end up with tears streaming down my face and my stomach hurting. This state usually sets everyone else around me into peals of laughter too. This is one of those nights that the thought of the boys with sticks up their noses (something my girls NEVER did) was enough to keep us all laughing until dinner.

On the flip side I think that with only a couple of months to go until Ky is 3, his terrible 3 stage has already begun. Everyone always says kiddos go through the "terrible 2's" - but I have found with ALL my kiddos that we go through the "terrible THREE's". I have a sweet little person, and the moment they hit their 3rd birthday, they turn into a hysterical maniac. Ky has always had a very calm temperment, but has already begun his rampages - complete with kicking, hitting, screaming tantrums. I have set a goal for myself to be more calm in these moments of struggle, and for the most part I am doing well, but it still often times also leaves me in tears when I am already struggling and I cant seem to help Ky be calm. These tantrums have resulted in sending Ky to his bed until he is calm. It often becomes more of a concern to me when he continues his tantrums while standing on his bed (remember that top bunk thing?) and pounds on the walls and throws things. I am trying to be consistent in his discipline. He knows he gets time out, but I think that the bed thing is going have to change, will have to do some more thinking on that one...

Boys and their genes and behaviors continue to be a puzzle to me. My boys will do or say things that my girls NEVER did and then be totally clueless about why they may be in trouble or reminded for the zillioneth time why toys do NOT belong in their noses. They are a constant source of laughter and struggle. I am hoping one of these days I might get them figured out. For now, I take one day at a time and do the best I can.

No comments: