I just realized I skipped a day in my numbering ... Sunday was a non-training day so it didn't warrant a write-up.
This morning was the APFT re-test. Maybe I should have re-taken it for score (more on that later). I showed up to help anyone that was on the bubble with the run. When I was at PLDC, someone ran the last hundred yards or so with me and helped me barely pass. I'm looking for chances to do the same for someone else. I think we had about 20 people show up, even though only SIX were required to be there. Pretty cool to see that much support. Unfortunately at least one (maybe two) still didn't pass, so I guess they won't get their graduation paperwork. I did end up running with a guy who definitely would NOT have made it without me and another Soldier running with him the whole way. So that was good for him and for me.
I joined the group who was encouraging one of the walkers, and who happened to be part of our horn quartet group. Fortunately one of the other permanent-profile walkers had been helping from the beginning of the test, giving some tips on form and momentum and varying step size. All I could do was offer to give her my apple juice after the test, which seemed to help her too. Thankfully she shaved five minutes off her time from the week before, and passed just fine.
I ended up with about 10 minutes to shower and change before opening formation, the second-to-last of the course. Hard to believe we're really almost done. The morning was spent "dinking around on the internet" (those were the actual instructions from our group leader) while the instructors went through end-of-course paperwork, counselings, etc. There was a survey online, lots of email being checked, and some general boredom. First chance I get I'll pick up a book to read since it sounds like the rest of the day will be the same (it's only 10am and I'm just about bored out of my mind).
End-of-course counseling was fine. My academic score was above 97%, which would have put me in line to be the Honor Graduate. Unfortunately another requirement for that award is scoring 80 points in each of the three physical fitness test events. I only scored above 80 in one event, and so made myself ineligible. It's not like that would have been a bonus in my check or anything ...
The ANCOC and BNCOC classes combined to practice that way-too-long "Creed of the Noncommissioned Officer" that we are supposed to recite from memory tomorrow. After that we had a discussion with CSM Camarda and MAJ Keene about all sorts of topics. Hopefully they will be able to use some of the ideas that were bantied as they continue to develop future courses, especially for the Reserves / National Guard.
Following lunch we had our graduation rehearsal, where we also found out the honor graduates. There was much grousing as our "top student" was announced. It was the guy who 1) never participated in the practice bands, but instead was off to the side practicing his conducting, and 2) missed most of the entire second week due to feeling sick. He did manage to show up on time for all the evaluations, so he was able to get those important scores. The rest of us didn't score well enough on the APFT, which I'm guessing is the reason he was ultimately selected: by default.
We're waiting for the final Soldier counseling, and the we're off to the Cheesecake Factory as a group. Should be a fun evening.
No comments:
Post a Comment