Friday, January 27, 2012

Chemo #5

Just a quick update about today.
 
Things went really well today. I had a new nurse since Janelle is on vacation for a couple of weeks.
 
Labs came back in about 45 min (vs 2 hrs we usually wait) and that gave us an earlier start to our day.
 
Pre-meds also took less than an hour. It was a start-stop-start-stop to that process. Each med had to be given individually through the IV, and that is why it usually takes so long. One of the meds is Benedryl - highly concentrated, high dose. It was the first med Terri gave me today, and it wasnt long before I felt the effects - blurred vision, groggy feeling. I mostly rested while she ran the rest, which included 2 heavy-duty anti-nausea meds and Pepcid AC which in the form they gave me acts as an antihistimine blocker like the benedryl - an allergy med vs tummy upset med.
 
Just before she got the Taxel going, Jill popped in on her break and brought me a yummy treat. We had a nice, but too short, visit. It was good to catch up with her. Thanx tons Jill for coming to see me, esp knowing what a crazy day you were having! Thank you!
 
When all the pre-chemo meds were finally finished Terri got the Taxel going. It is supposed to run over 3 hours, but she might have run it a bit faster than that. She hooked me up to the blood pressure cuff that had to be checked every 15 minutes. I guess this one can cause blood pressure to totally jump high, or can totally make it nosedive. Mine was fine every time she checked it. The Benedryl really made me sleepy, and I tried to nap, but with the machine going off every 15 min, I got mini 10 min cat naps instead. Hopefully it will be a good sleeping night.
 
Terri made sure to let my fluids completely finish too. Just to make sure that I keep enough in me.
 
Over all, Terri was VERY pleased with the way things went today. I am tired, but actually feel pretty good. Our main concern now will be to watch for painful tingling in my fingers and toes that will slowly move throughout my body. The Taxel and Nulasta will also slowly start to compound to cause joint, bone and muscle pain. That was pretty severe from my last treatment, so I definately know what to watch for. Thankfully, we have good meds on hand that we can use this time to help. Everyone is hoping that the nausea should be MUCH better, and they are hoping that it may not even be an issue at all. That would be a HUGE blessing. The one other thing I will watch for is for eating/food stuff to start changing again because of these meds. I have noticed a couple of things that I have eaten today that it may have already effected. Thankfully, I do have regular tummy meds I can use, in case it becomes too much to handle. There are no food restrictions stil, just eating whatever tastes good and that my body can handle without painful after effects.
 
I also asked about any other restrictions for visitors and outings. Unfortunately, it looks like they are going to be the same - limited visitors and outings, esp in my 7-10 day window. Should make for an interesting next week/weekend with family coming in from out of town and all the big family events happening Fri/Sat. Will just make sure to limit contact (hugs, etc) and make sure we ask everyone to be willing to wash hands and stuff to be around me. Will just do the very best we can, and then plan to lay low like we have been. Dr and nurses are hopeful that I wont be flat down, though, and that I will be able to maintain more regular activity. I will be continuing my daily medical log to keep track of symptoms and side effects. It will be extra helpful as everything is literally starting over again.
 
Thanx tons to everyone who has been so helpful and supportive, and to all of you who are still hanging in there with us as we still have at least another 6 months to go with appointments and treatments and surgeries and things. I know it is difficult for everyone, and we are so grateful to all of you who are still sticking it out with us. We appreciate it more than we can ever say!
 
I am hoping that over the weekend that I can get some photo posts caught up. Lots has been going on and it will be fun to be able to share those. Stay tuned....
 
I guess that is all for now.

1 comment:

Janica said...

We will pray that the effects will be less severe, and things will be easier this time around! We are thinking and praying for you! We are excited for the baptism next week, (and Colton's birthday) I'll pray that you will be able to be feeling well and enjoy such a special day.