Wednesday, January 11, 2012

2 Week "Vacation"

Just a small recap for any new readers, and to just update anyone who might still be reading - and some new info we received today -
 
December was a really rough month for us with me having 3 chemo treatments. Chemo side effects and complications got worse with each treatment and I found myself back at the hospital multiple times during the month.

This last set of side effects have been so extreme and complicated that I had nurses scrambling and completely blown away by things that are not even on their "things to be concerned about" list, and my Dr who is extra upset that I am still not doing well. Side effects and complications have lasted much longer than my Dr or nurses are happy with. I have still been mostly down and still struggling.

After a phone call to my nurse this morning, we got an official halt to things. I was supposed to be scheduled for chemo again on Friday, but with me still struggling and not recovering well, things have been put on hold. I am still struggling with coming to terms with this setback. I cried most of the morning. I think the biggest challenge is not making my brain understand that this is the right thing to do, but that we continue to be at the merciless whim of this experience. Things can change drastically in a single moment, and the emotional overload of that still brings tears flowing everytime. This morning was no different.

I will have a Dr appt on Jan 26th. I have between now and then to hopefully regain some strength and hopefully see a big decrease in complications or see them go away completely. My appt on the 26th will determine if we can go ahead. If all is ok, I will begin my 2nd set of chemo (4 treatments) on the 27th. The main concern with this next round of things is that it can cause severe arthritis like pain and extreme fatigue. We will take one set at a time, and adjustments will be made as needed.

At my Dr appointment on Monday, I was also given a better timeline for the rest of my care. If we stay on an ideal schedule (which is now already set back by 2 weeks minimum) I would not be looking at final surgeries happening until at least May. Most likely we will still be on the tail end of things after school is out. That would be the ideal. We have to leave room in there somewhere for any unexpected concerns or adjustments like the first set of treatments.
 
It has been a long, emotional day for all of us. I think the kids are really feeling the stress of things too. Last week was so bad, and I think we are all struggling to try to regain some recovery from everything. Hoping that the rest of the week will be a bit more calm, even though I know they are still extra full days. Calm vs chaos would be an extra blessing, even if it was just for a little while.
 
I will do my best to keep a more regular posting coming. Keep hoping I will get a chance to post some fun stuff, and all the picts from our fun adventures in the last couple of months. Maybe when I am finally out of bed (I am typing this on the laptop in our room) and can try and take on a more "normal" day, I will be able to add in some of the fun stuff.
 
Thanx to everyone who is even still reading here. Feel free to leave comments or just send a note. It really does mean so much to know there are so many of you out there and thinking of us. Thanx tons. Will try to post again soon.

 

3 comments:

Jen said...

You are in our prayers every single day. Love you Baxters

Nancy said...

Thinking about you, Rory from Boston (I'm taking classes at Harvard). I am glad that you will have a chance to recover and hopefully, start feeling some relief, even though it is a frustrating thought to prostpone treatments. Sending hugs and prayers and extra good thoughts.

Nancy Eastwood

Jill Tharp said...

Dear Rory - I faithfully follow your blog and understand that this setback has been so hard - I am thinking you want to get this over with. I think you are right though that things can change in an instant and there is not that much we can actually do except go with it. You are one brave lady - The Lord is in control. Sunday in sacrament, I had the distinct impression that the Lord is so aware of you as an individual and truly understands all of your struggles. What joy we can find in the atonement - knowing that He is really the only one who truly understands - Please know my dear sister that you are loved by many and much concern is felt for you. I am confident someday this will be a distant nightmare and sunny days will come - Love you Jill