This week we have been caring for our friends' property, livestock and pets. It has meant a 20+minute drive (one way) there and back 2x/day. Usually early AM and late evening. These are the perfect times to see all sorts of wildlife and beauty.
In the last couple of days I have enjoyed seeing wild baby bunnies, does and a spotted fawn, and small herds of horses "talking" to each other from their pastures directly across the street from each other. I had to smile as I watched an older couple enjoy a leisurely walk down a old gravel road, and another couple laughing and talking as they also enjoyed an early morning stroll. I have also stood in awe of the beauty of early morning misty skies literally stuck in the treetops of evergreens. Today I got to take picts of a large patch of gorgeous sunflowers and the sun directly behind them creating breathtaking sunbeams (picts to come to PMR site soon) You only get to enjoy these sweet moments by livin' in the country!
I also lost a tree frog when it jumped off my neighbors front door and onto the adjoining wall (we are pet/yard sitting for them this week too) I was surprised to see the little frog because I hadnt noticed it when I first went in the house. I never did find it, and worry about it being stuck in their house. Hoping it will do ok tonight until I can sneak over there again in the morning.
It has been a fun week so far with animal antics and fun. Our friends have 2 big dogs who even though they are getting old, act like puppies. I get a very loud welcome each time I come and they both run around me like crazy each vying for my attention. It is pretty funny. A couple of days ago Sam did not want to go to bed and she lay down on the ground every few feet behind me. I eventually had to go to her each time to coax her along because she wouldnt come when I called. Apparently she needed some extra TLC and after I had petted her she jumped up, followed me and then lay back down. I think she did that about 4 times between the house and the barn. They also have cats and chickens that we are caring for (they took the horses with them) They have a mama cat and a growing kitten. It was fun watching the kitten play with the tiny hole spouting water from the hose as I watered the garden. He didnt quite know what to do with that water. Funny how little ones (whether people or animals) are so fascinated by the most simple things. He is quite the little scamp and has won over my heart this week. He has also been my de-stressor - on my rough days I have been able to gather him up into my arms and pet him, and he is perfectly content to be there. Normally I steer way clear of cats because of my allergies, so far I havent had any problems with him...
The chickens are a whole other laugh a day. There is one cantankerous hen who has finally decided to sit on one batch of eggs to hatch them( she moved several different times with batches of eggs) The other hens think every time I open the gate it is a free for all and I have to shoo them all away just so I can come in. They have been pretty pleasant this week when I have gathered eggs ( lucky us!) and havent put up too much of a fuss - except for today - there werent even any eggs for me to take, but they sure had a hissy fit over me being in their space. I shooed them all back out into the fenced yard just so I could get back out.
It has been really fun to help our friends and our neighbor this week. We give service, and yet we are rewarded with yummy, fresh eggs, playing with animals we arent around very often, and just a good feeling of a job well done. The kids are also hoping we will be invited to come and ride their awesome horses again before the end of summer :)
Guess that is all for now. I have more to write about soon and picts to share from today's photo session that was amazing. All in all, a much better afternoon after our rough go of things this morning. Here's hoping tomorrow will be a calmer day all around.
No comments:
Post a Comment