This morning started out with a decent run around the Riverwalk loop and up to a set of locks and dam they use to control the flow. Even at 5:15 it was still quite warm, and I probably lost several pounds of water before I got back. Need to keep that exercise habit going for sure.
Much of the morning was dedicated to completion of our yearly evaluations (NCOERs), something that traditionally gets turned in to the state way too late each year. This year will be different as the 1SG decreed that they will ALL be done before folks are excused from annual training. Pretty good incentive! A few of us also attended an introductory sound reinforcement class by SFC Tuggy. It was probably the run, but I had a real problem keeping awake. In between snoozes I picked up enough to realize those guys on the sound crew have to know a LOT of technical stuff to be able to do a good job. SFC Tuggy told me he’s attended FIVE military courses to get to where he’s at now. I’m not sure too many of us will be able to pick up the basics from just an introduction, and typically when we’re setting up for concerts there is not enough time and there is too much pressure to allow new people to go through the setup. I’m guessing one or more people are going to have to go through those sound courses too.
Because I was recently promoted I needed to get my ID card replaced. The offices in Oregon are not convenient to my work or home, so I made an appointment to get it taken care of on base. It was pretty cool to actually make an appointment online, get a confirmation, and know I would be in-and-out within a 20-minute window. It took some effort to FIND the building, but I arrived and was allowed in early, and the whole process was very smooth. Glad I was able to get that taken care of. Too bad Rory and the girls will have to get new cards too (didn’t realize my promotion would invalidate their ID’s too).
Mid afternoon we loaded up our gear and headed to a town called Floresville about an hour away. I was able to use that time to complete one of my ratings (taking a positive step towards being allowed to leave AT on time) for one of my squad leaders.
The concert venue was a retirement center, and the original plan was for us to play underneath a large canopy tent. While walking through the center we caught the local weather, where they reported that the “heat index” (some combination of temperature and humidity) was 107! Fortunately we were able to convince the concert band leadership to move our “stage” to a location inside an interior courtyard that was completely shaded at concert time. The folks at the center were VERY hospitable; they had set up extra shade, prepared dinner for us, provided water and other drinks, had advertized the concert in the local paper, and seemed genuinely happy to have us there. Those are the best kinds of concerts!
The actual crowd ended up being relatively small, but I think that was probably due to the heat index. But we played anyway, putting on the best show we could. Most of the audience were residents of the living center, many in wheelchairs or scooters. They were a great audience, and many were dancing in their chairs in some of the more up-beat or big band jazz tunes. One of our Specialists was allowed to do a juggling routine while the band played a song called the “Circus Bee” which was pretty comical. After the concert most of us got to meet those who had attended, and got a sampling of how happy everyone was who attended. Awesome!
Another rating was completed on the way back to the hotel (yay for laptops!) so I am optimistic that the evaluations will in fact be completed and I may not get “stuck” waiting for others to finish their paperwork before we are released on Sunday. I’m really looking forward to being home, even if there is a “heat wave” going through Oregon this weekend. 92 in Oregon will be MUCH better than 107 in San Antonio.
No comments:
Post a Comment