Fall is upon us already, and Fall means garden harvest time. When Ceana got home from all her travels the first thing she couldnt wait to do was get out into the garden. She loves to plant and harvest and so she and the kids all went out and brought in as much as they could. We found that with the little care that we were able to give (even with ALL the extra help from friends) that the garden just didnt do as well as we had hoped. We got a small sampling of beets and carrots (about enough for 1 meal, but boy were they YUMMY!)We got some lettuce and totally lost the peas, broccoli and cauliflower. We found the 2 things that really flourished, despite being totally neglected, was the zuchinni and the tomatoes. We have been able to harvest them (and share them) week after week and they are still coming!
Our little garden has been lots of fun, and it is good to know that we have some bounty left in the freezer to enjoy for the coming year (yummy zuchinni bread!)
We learned alot and will be much better prepared for next year. I think it has been a good experience for the kids and it is always great knowing you have done something that will provide for your family.
Ceana had so much fun bringing in all of the yummy things from the garden. She was an angel to scrub and prepare everything for dinner too. It has been a great experience for her to be able to help in the planting and the harvesting, those are her 2 favorite things to do.
.JPG)
The boys all made multiple trips to and from the garden with arms overflowing with all the HUGE zuchinni that had grown. We had so many monster size ones because I didnt realize that there were TWO zuchinni plants (I thought one was pumpkin) and I never even looked at the plant in the corner until Ceana was gathering everything in. The boys thought it was fun to show off how strong they were.
.JPG)
.JPG)
All of our pretty, baby tomatoes. They were a grape tomato variety that has really flourished with all the heat. I tried hard to get a good pict, but just couldnt quite get it, at least you can kind of see how pretty they are
.JPG)
I just had to include this pict of Ky too. This is his "I am DONE, mom" face - he and the boys had made so many trips in from the garden that he was totally worn out. Poor thing, but he was such a good helper!
No comments:
Post a Comment