When all was said and done and we were on our way to dinner Ceana asked if Preston and I had fun running the marathon - we both looked at each other and at the same time emphatically said "NO!" and then laughed a bit. Was it a great learning experience and one that I am glad to have shared with Preston and other family? I would have to say just as emphatically "YES!"
I want to start out with all of the tender mercies of that day - as long and hard of a journey as Preston & I took - there were very many blessings for both of us.
1) Cool, Comfortable weather.
The forcast had predicted thunderstorms, lightning and rain. It was cold and a bit windy when we started out but the sun was out (much to the consternation of my whole backside that got fried) and the clouds kept the weather comfy.
2) A moderate breeze blowing from behind.
The breeze helped "push" us along those last long miles. It also helped to keep me cool as I dumped water over my head at the last few way stations.
3) Aid stations along the entire route.
There were aid stations about every mile that provided water, gross gatorade, oranges, bananas and Ibuprofen. I was so thankful for each station and the enthusiastic volunteers who manned them. It seemed just as I was really struggling and needed help the next way station would be within reach. I was especially thankful for the medication as I had my whole right side burning from the extra exertion and my right foot that had been rubbed raw from my shoes.
4) Being able to tag along with others.
Unlike Preston not being in the back I WAS the very last marathoner in our group participating in the half marathon. I happened to overhear a conversation being carried on by a group of 4 ladies. I hesitantly joined their chatter and was almost instantly included in their little group. Two of the ladies had been training for months and had all the nifty gadgets in place to keep everyone on track. We walked and talked and then jogged to small goal sites (a tree or sign or way station) when we needed to pick up the pace or when we just needed to get each other to try a little harder. I know that I never would have finished if it wasnt for them and knowing I needed to keep up with them. Through our chatter and encouragement of each other we were able to keep going mile after mile.
5) Having Preston catch up with me at mile marker #23.
Doug had come along the route with his kiddos to chat with each of us on the road. I had kept watching for Preston to pass me the whole time and came to find out from Doug that Preston was just a mile behind me. I kept watching for him and hadnt seen him yet. I continued to worry as I watched the "courtesy car" (the one that scoops you up for being too slow or in case of injury) continue to go back and forth and watch as ambulances and police drove in the opposite direction - wondering if his ankle had finally given out. I found myself talking to Preston at every mile marker after I had seen doug - somehow thinking if I talked out loud to him he would some how hear me and keep on going. At mile marker 23 (out of 26) I had just passed the way station with gross gatorade in my tummy and the water poured over my head when I heard Preston's voice. I quickly turned around to find him right behind me! It was the most wonderful thing for me to have him there beside me. I was really starting to struggle (even more than I had already) and as I took his hand in mine and we talked about how things had been going I felt a new energy in me. We chatted and laughed about how we had done even better than we thought. I was thrilled to know that we would cross the finish line together and that we didnt come in last and we came in a whole lot sooner than we thought. Walking those last miles together was a true blessing and running across the finish line (despite the fact that my feet were screaming with pain) hand in hand felt glorious to me and made it all worth it!
6) Knowing my sis-in-law was successful and NOT sick.
My sis-in-law Heidi has been training to run the half marathon for the last couple of months. She did great with the runs but then would have her body completely freak out and she has been very sick after every run. Her training routes were shorter than the actual marathon run. I had been so worried for her that she would be extra sick after running so far and long. I was thrilled to find out that Bart (preston's youngest brother) has stayed with her the whole race and that she was feeling good and didnt get sick at ALL after the race. It was a true blessing for her and for me to know she was able to enjoy this experience to its fullest.
7) Enthusiastic family members and other participants.
Preston & I did come in after all of the other family members who participated. It was great as we rounded those last few turns to hear encouragement and congrats from other participants. It was also fun to watch preston's mom and some of my kiddos run along the last stretch with us yelling and whooping for us that we had finished. Just as we were ready to cross the finish line we also got the big announcement of our finish from the awards grandstand - which was pretty fun to hear. I was also great to have Preston's mom and our kiddos say "there is ice cream, do you want ice cream, you need ice cream" as we were just trying to catch our breath! The time to stop and get more water and a treat was fun and much appreciated.
8) The beauty of Idaho wilderness.
I was amazed as I walked mile after mile at all the beauty surrounding me. We were bussed quite a long ways out of the city to our start point - right out into the wilderness. I often wished I had my camera with me to capture the striking colors of the mountains, the delicate softness of late summer flowers or the grace of horses running through a field. We are so caught up every day in being surrounded by cars and roads and houses and buildings we forget about the beauty the Lord has made for us. I was almost glad I was just walking as I got to enjoy the scenery much more. Later that night as we were driving home from dinner I was able to just stare out the window and actually see stars and find constellations and the soft haze of the milky way and watch as satellites blinked and moved through the sky. What a glorious place this Earth is - what a marvelous blessing it is for us to be here!
9) Fabulous pool and hot tub at the hotel.
I was so thankful for the heat and the cool of the hot tub and pool at the hotel. My body really needed both! We also got the extra blessing of spending some fun time with Preston's brother and sister and their families at the hotel. The kids had a blast swimming together and the adults just enjoyed visiting and chatting about our individual experiences and feelings. It was great to be able to share our stories with each other and with other runners who were there. It was amazing to listen to the varied responses from each other and other participants. There was one gal who said this was her 1st marathon and she was raring to go do another (just hours after we had finished). I really believed her when the next morning I was slowly crawling to the hot tub to work out all the ouchies to see her working out on all the machines in the hotel gym! She was smiling and waved at us like she was on holiday - she probably will do this again and I bet more than once! People like that WOW me - we all have our different gifts and talents and it looks like she had found hers. I know my gifts and talents are to be found in other places though - and even as good of an experience as this was - it is nice to know that I can continue to learn and grow from this and apply it to other places in my life to enrich my individual talents in the future.
10) Being able to say "I FINISHED!"
I think that participating in this marathon has been one of the hardest things I have ever done. Something I am not sure I would ever have the strength to do again. Not something I am sure I would CHOOSE to do again. All those questions I asked were answered and yet I am still not sure why anyone in their right minds would do this over and over. The pain was and has been terrible and intense. My hands were very swollen from gravity and my body trying to hold in fluid. As we ran across the finish line my feet like they were being poked with thousands of pins and needles. When we got over the finish line I couldnt get my shoes off fast enough and I knew there would be damage - but even Preston was surprised at how much I had hurt my feet. I have been eating Ibuprofen and Tylenol like candy for several days as well as soaking and stretching and it still has not been enough. Since being home I have had to tend to all the muscles in my body I didnt know I have as well as keeping my "stress finger" and my feet cleaned and bandaged often.
Yet through all the pain and the reality that this was HARD there is also a satisfaction in knowing I have done something I never thought I could do. There is a feeling of accomplishment every time I look at the medal I received. There is an awe that it wasnt a dream - that I really did do something amazing. I am a better person for this experience and I am better for the people who surrounded me whether family or strangers - because of them, because I TRIED to do something harder than I have ever done, I AM better. That in itself is pretty amazing to me. The other amazing thing to me is that our family had this experience together. I hope that as the kids have seen Preston & I do something extra hard it will send the message that life can be hard but also so rewarding and that you really can do anything you put your mind to. This experience has had many teaching moments - esp for me. Now that the journey is through it will be nice to sit back and enjoy sharing the memories and look forward to all the teaching moments it will continue to provide - for me and our family. Pretty sweet.
Preston & Rory @ the FINISH Line
Preston's sister Kari showing off her WELL EARNED medal!
Preston's youngest brother Bart and our sis-in-law Heidi - WAY TO GO!
1 comment:
Rory and Preston!
I am SO impressed! Congratulations! I cannot even tell you how exciting that is that you took on this incredible challenge!
So, Who - hooo!!!!! You guys are awesome!
Post a Comment