Good friends of ours have cattle and a large property in the west hills in Monmouth. Yesterday they invited us to come and pick blackberries. Today after I dropped Caiden off at school I took the little boys and we went out to our friend's house.
I was SO going to take my camera - and I forgot it! I was really sad too because of all the boys' antics I could have captured today.
When we first arrived at our friend's house his cats were eating on the porch. The minute Ky saw them he jumped out of the car and ran over to them yelling "eow!" I am not sure where he learned to say "meow" since we are never around cats. The poor cats didnt know what to think of him and ran under the car. Ky was not to be sidetracked though and got right down on his stomach on the ground and got face to face with the cat - yelling "eow!" the whole time. It was pretty hilarious.
Our next adventure began by us piling into the back of our friend's big truck. Colton thought that was way cool except he had to have Paul put the tailgate up "so we dont fall out." Colton laughed his head off as we bounced and rumbled through the cow pasture to get to the berry bushes on the far side of the property. Ky wasnt too sure he liked all the bouncing though but he loved looking at all the cattle and yelling "ow, ow!" (cow). It took all my arm strength to keep Kelsianne's car seat from bouncing too hard too. It has been a VERY long time since I have ridden in the back of a truck...it did bring back lots of memories from growing up and roaming my grandparents' farm.
Colton spent our 2 hours shoving as many berries into his mouth as possible. I KNOW more went into his tummy than went into his bucket. He kept telling our friend Paul "these are really good!" to which Paul would reply "that they are." and then laugh and laugh. Colton was pretty funny.
I thought Ky would enjoy eating and picking too - boy was I WRONG. I was surprised that when he tasted the berries that he didnt like them at all. A little later all the cows discovered we were in their pasture and came to investigate and to see if they could eat our berries without being discovered! Imagine 500 pounds of cow trying to sneak up behind you thinking you cant see it stick its face in the berry bucket - dumb cows....
Ky was fascinated with the cows - and there were quite a few and they were BIG! I thought Ky would be afraid but he just stared those cows right in the eye and gave them what for - shaking his fingers at them and everything! He also spent a lot of his time chasing them around. I actually felt bad for the cows! It was hard to discipline Ky and try to get him to stop because I was laughing so hard. He was perfectly content to tromp through the pasture (and the cow patties - EW!) to chase those cows. He was not afraid at all and had a blast scaring the wits out of even the biggest cow!
We only lasted about 2 hours and gathered about 1/2 bucket (the other half was in colton's stomach) before Kels and Ky were both WAY cranky and needing lunch and a nap. I was sad to have to go so soon but was pleased to know we were invited back whether Paul and his wife were home or not. We will for sure be returning in the next couple of days!
We again piled into the back of the truck with Kels and Ky screaming their heads off and Colton fussing about holding the berries and worried about "his buckets" of berries falling out of the back of the truck. (visualize me laughing and rolling my eyes) Ky did stop crying long enough to say bye to the cows and wave to them - that was pretty funny too.
We are looking forward to going back to pick more berries. They will be wonderful to have for the winter - if we dont eat them all first! We had a very BERRY fun afternoon!
No comments:
Post a Comment