Wednesday, September 3, 2008

FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL

Well, here we are at the start of another school year. I cant believe it and I just cant seem to understand how the Summer flew away so fast.

For the kids that means starting fun new adventures, being excited about everything, being with old friends and looking forward to making new friends. We were thrilled to find out that Caiden has 2 other classmates this year that are his friends already! Good solid peers and families - our answered prayer!

It also means the start of crazy schedules - esp on Tuesdays. Ceana left the house yesterday morning at 7AM and didnt get back until 9PM because her piano lesson and YW are also crammed into her day! Tuesdays are going to be our "bezerk day" for scheduling for all of us...

It also means trying to get back into a regular routine and schedule and hopefully setting some good habits in place - again. I will be walking the boys to school every day - rain or shine. It will be good for me to get out every day and hopefully get rid of all that "baby fat" and just get to be outside with the kids. Caiden is thrilled about us walking to school since he gets to ride his bike every day. He has worked really hard this Summer to learn to ride his bike so he could ride to school and other places with Preston and the big girls. The big girls will also be riding their bikes to school together too since they are attending the same school this year. Kaeli also is looking forward to this as she likes to be on her bike as much as possible.

For me the start of school means my children are continuing to grow and change - which is good and sad at the same time. It has been esp sad for me today as Colton has started Kindergarten and is officially in what he calls "big school". He has been so excited and I was all ready to be with him to enjoy his first big day only to walk him to his classroom and have the teacher say "bye parents" and actually close the door on us! That was VERY unexpected for me. In the past we have had a kindergarten teacher who welcomed parents, and siblings, into her classroom with open arms. I have to say I was about in tears - esp knowing Colton was only 1 of 5 children in his classroom today for their "staggered start". I am missing out on his first special day of school and I am not ok with that. We were given the OK to come and have lunch with him but I will have missed everything else he has done this morning. It really hurts my heart.

Also sad for me is how quiet the house is - when Kels is not screaming. It has been so wonderful for me this Summer to have the kids here with me and for us to have time to talk and play and just be together. As I sit here this morning with Ky playing quietly and Kels trying to nap, the house is much too quiet for me. This quiet means that all the kiddos are off doing their own thing, getting started on their own routines and schedules, having their own adventures. I know this is part of growing up, part of life, part of preparing them to someday be on their own as adults. For now though, I wish I could hold onto these moments when they are young and just stop time, at least for awhile.

This new school year will hold many adventures and many challenges for all of us. We will just take one day at a time and do the best we can and hope to make the most of all of the experiences ahead of us.






3 comments:

momoftwoboys said...

Rory -

:) I know a little of what you are feeling. This week was Will's first day of first grade. Now both of my boys are in full day school. I took them to school, came home and listened to the silence, and had a good cry for 1/2 an hour.

It's tough - you want them to be these strong independant kids and at the same time you need them to still need you.....

It's so sad how quickly time passes....

Brittney said...

Sounds like a lot of craziness (and at the same time, a lot of calm-ness with all those kids gone). Even though it was tough for you to not be in the classroom with Colton, maybe it's better for the kids to just leave their parents at home all together. That said, I would(will) want to be a part of my kid's first day of kindergarten!

Hesses Madhouse said...

Rory, I just wanted you to know how I'm LOVING reading your blog! It brings you so much closer. Thanks for all you share. You're AMAZING!!!