Tuesday, May 5, 2009

FLU QUARANTINE

Last Thurs we got a call from our CERT coordinator (who also works at the WOU) to tell us that the university was closing due to a suspected case of Swine Flu. We were blown away that the flu had reached our little community in such a short time.

When Friday AM came, and I got a phone call from a friend, and then discovered that I couldnt get through to any of the kids' schools I made the decision to keep the kids home from school. I loaded everyone into the car, on the chance that I might leave them at school. I went into each school office to be told there was no info and that the phones had all been possibly turned off on the district level (like ignoring everyone is going to help the concerns). In talking with secretaries and vice principals I felt strongly that it was best for me to for sure keep the kids home. It was amazing that they didnt even blink an eye when I told them, and I was surprised to see the girls' names added to a very long list of other students who would not be in attendance that day.

We came home, disappointed and near tears, and tried to discuss why the decision was made to be at home and try to stay safe. My biggest concern was for Kaeli and Colton who have already had their health compromised by flu, ruptured eardrums and severe asthma in recent weeks. Everyone got going on their few house jobs and then spent the rest of their day with free time.

Saturday while Preston & I were gone I got a phone call from Ceana telling me that there had been 1 confirmed case in the district and that all the schools in the district were being closed for this whole next week. There was also specific info telling families/children to stay away from school playgrounds. WHOA - I couldnt even think about what info had come about to close the schools, playgrounds and events for the entire week. We tried to gather what little info there was and planned for a quiet week at home.

Last night was supposed to be the school district board meeting - except that I got a last minute phone call from a friend telling me it had just been posted on the website that the meeting had been cancelled due to another 4 confirmed cases in the district.

Today we have been given the info that the 6th Grade Outdoor School that kaeli/Preston were supposed to attend next week has been postponed. There is also new info telling staff to not report to work unless otherwise notified. This postponement of the Outdoor School makes me wonder if they will be postponing/not holding classes either. Guess we will see what other info comes from the district through the rest of this week.

In the meantime the kids are doing a great job helping keep the house tidy and helping fix real meals. They are enjoying extra free time to read, watch movies and play on the Wii. For the most part everyone is getting along well, and going to bed early with no nap schedule (meltdown modex3 most afternoons) We will just do the best we can and take one day at a time. It is good time to rest and think about projects we would like to work on (think being the optimal word as I have not been well enough to follow through yet)

We will keep everyone posted on what we find out. For now, know that we are all healthy and trying to stay that way. We do feel this outbreak is a concern, but not a threat to our family at this time. All the kids seem to be doing really well, and we will do our best to keep it that way through this week and the ending weeks of our school year.

2 comments:

Denise G said...

Glad your family is feeling well. Central's website says to check daily for updates. So we will be doing that. Just for an FYI, Abigail went to kindergarten on Friday and said there were only four other kids in her class. Over 200 were missing from TMS too.

We are just viewing this week as a second spring break, except we aren't going any place, just tackling projects we never get to.

Alli said...

It's been interesting to see something that's making international headlines strike so close to home in our little town. Certainly I understand the reason behind the school closures, but my kids are driving me nuts and are NOT helping keep the house tidy!