Tuesday, May 5, 2009

A DAY TOGETHER

Saturday Preston had another drill - all the way in Bend. He decided that it would be fun for just the 2 of us to go if we could find extra helping hands for the kiddos. We got everything arranged for the most part and decided to go.

The drive was beautiful, once we got past the rain, and both of us noticed all the unique things about the landscape. We also enjoyed listening to "Car Talk" on the radio - any of you who have ever heard that program knows what a crack up it is.

We arrived in Bend to the high school where the deployment ceremony was to be held. The 41st is deploying again to act as security units in Iraq. They are deploying something like 3500 people this time - the largest deployment since WWII.

Just as we arrived we noticed to fire rescue ladder trucks in the parking lot. They were working on positioning a VERY large flag between the 2 extended ladders. It was pretty incredible to watch the whole process and see the flag as it towered above everything. As we were watching a whole group of bikers rode up, most with flags flying from behind their bikes. It was a very unusual sight. Preston mentioned that this particular group goes all over to help with delpoyment ceremonies and to give/show their support to the soldiers and their families.

As we continued to watch we noticed the group go over to another group of military students and to start unloading large flags from the back of a truck. Each biker took a flag and then lined the sidewalk to the door to the building where the ceremony would be held. Following them were the youth participating in the Military Youth Challenge program, also bearing large flags. It was very moving to see 2 totally different group of people come together to give support and help to the days events.

Preston had to head inside to start help setting up for the ceremony and I stayed outside with my camera trying to capture what my eyes were seeing and what my heart was feeling. It blew me away to watch the youth with their flags stand so frozen in place, to hear "yes ma'am" when I asked if I could photograph them, to see their unwavering focus. It was even more breathtaking to watch those same youth march down the sidewalk, holding their flags high, between the bikers with their flags, and watch them move into the building where they re-positioned themselves to welcome the soliders and their families. It was amazing how many people were caught off guard, even the soldiers as they saw the youth presenting flags and lining the walls of the walkways of the schools. I stayed in the doorway and took picts as I listened to people say "whoa" or "cool" or just take in deep breaths of surprise at the sight. Not something that you see/hear every day.

I tried my hardest to learn and photograph all I could about this event. I tried creative shots, as well as shots straight on. I talked with soldiers and their families. I tried to capture special moments to be able to share with the soldiers and their families, but all the while felt like I was intruding on their privacy during such an emotion filled day. I have since re-considered those feelings as I have had correspondence from the 41st headquarters family program coordinator. She seems genuinely pleased that there will be real pictures to share with the families during the coming separation from their soldiers. I hope that what I was able to take will be something helpful to them.

The ceremony was very moving, and it makes you feel eternally grateful for all of the blessings that we enjoy, and take for granted every day. These soldiers and their families are making a great sacrifice to bring freedom to people who have not had it, to preserve the freedoms that we are part of every day. I know that we have a friend who is deploying for the 2nd time with this unit, it will be a very long year for him and the family he is leaving behind. I hope that we will be able to provide help, friendship and support to them during this next year and wish a safe return to all of the soldiers, including our friend.

After the ceremony we finished off our "date" day with shopping at Costco and I got treated to dinner at McGraths. Preston doesnt esp enjoy fish, but he knows how much I do. He got steak, and I reached out on a limb and tried a new fish entree instead of ordering my favorites off the menu (coconut Ahi and Macadamia Nut Mahi-oooh, those are SOOO yummy). The new dish was good, something to try, not neccessarily something I would choose again. The pasta that went with it was pretty yummy though - and the cheese topping on preston's steak was extra "wow". We both left too full to even consider dessert.

The drive home was spent looking at all the picts I had taken at the ceremony and looking at the slideshow of all my "Flora & Fauna", still trying to decide which photos I am going to enter in 2 upcoming photography contests. We chatted and I think I dozed off now and then too.

During the day we checked in with kiddos and they checked in with us. It sounded like they had a good day and enjoyed some extra yummy food and time with friends. We came home to everyone but the girls already asleep and found that we were ready to crash too. In fact, Preston was zonked out almost instantly after we arrived home - it had been a long day...

I think that our day together went well. The kids did a great job while we were away and Preston and I spent much needed time together too. Knowing the kids are getting so much bigger and really have done so well the last 2 weekends, we may think about more day outings like this in the future.

No comments: