OK, here is another one pretty much just for me - feel free to peruse or skip
I did a family shoot yesterday that I am not feeling so hot about - mostly because of all the major mistakes I made. These are things that I have learned and if I get the opportunity to do another photo session I will hopefully be able to apply.
1) Stand up for myself, my time & work and ask for my fee BEFORE I do a shoot. I will not release the pict CD until my fee is paid
2) Make sure the location area is free of vehicles, photo equipment, etc.
3) Spend time on tweaks before they are ordered only if I LOVE them and would post them or add them to my portfolio
4) Be sure to let clients know BEFORE a shoot that my intent is to post a "sneak peek" on my photo blog
5) Be willing to listen to ideas, suggestions and critiques without folding in on myself and giving up or making myself feel like a complete failure
6) Be willing to show gratitude in accepting & applying these ideas and critiques before I end up hurting others that are trying their best to help - esp when it is my sweetheart who has given up all his work time to help me so I dont explode from being overwhelmed.
7) Be very clear about what the client is expecting or wanting. Be sure to ask before a shoot and just before starting picts to be sure to capture what the client wants as well as leaving time for creative shots and pict angles
8) Create some kind of client package that will include a feedback sheet, order form, business card, receipt, and pict CD.
9) Make sure and give myself sufficient time to process and get picts to a client. A week at most, and shorter time only at special request. Do not allow myself to be pressured by a client - my time is as valuable and important as theirs - this is a side adventure, my family is my life.
10) Dont attempt to play with new software, technology, etc without sufficient time to learn about it before offering it to a client or applying it to business end of things.
I am sure there will be more things I think of to add to this list. It seems the more I learn about photography the more I learn I DONT know. The way I feel at the moment I dont ever want to pick up my camera again - and yet I know I will - I have to - I already have shoots scheduled for Saturday.
At this point I am going to pretty much assume this session has been a scratch and a hard bunch of lessons to learn. I have learned a lot, even if it is all the things NOT to do next time. If there is a next time. My main goal with photography is to still share this gift to bring happiness to others, but it will be nice if that gift will someday be returned in allowing me to somehow contribute something positive to our household and family. Only time will tell.
2 comments:
Part of your "feedback to self" needs to include some of the things that DID go well:
1) Someone asked you to take their pictures! First real client - woohoo!
2) The list above shows some of the many things you learned. See how far ahead you are for next time?
3) Make notes of the poses YOU liked. There are several that you mentioned were new favorites.
4) You did get to practice with some of that new software. It's obvious you're getting more comfortable and efficient with some of the features.
5) You CAN do a fast job and maintain quality. You CAN work with people who you don't know very well. You CAN be flexible to work with changing schedules. You CAN get creative with the surroundings and lighting. Yes, you CAN.
6) Custom CD labels will be a snap.
7) You delivered more than what the client even asked for! You are professional, care about the people and photos, and delivered the final product before the promised deadline.
8) You gained a lot of confidence in yourself for the next shoot. Learning from mistakes (whether that's really what they were, or just what you THOUGHT they were) will make you that much better next time.
9) You've got several clients - include a new corporate client - lined up ready for your photography services.
10) Lots of people are excited for you, rooting for you, working for you, and wanting the best for you. You're learning to let them help you out. Way to go!
Rory,
I am sorry your experience did not go well. I have to admit the first time I did portraits with my kids and extended family, my experience was very frustrating (well actually every time has had elements that have been frustrating. But you do learn and grow with each experience. The pictures you take today will be different from the pictures you take next year as you apply the lessons you learn from each portrait.
You do good work! Stick with it and take time to play on your own and enjoy the moment. Don't let the concept of earning money rob you of your joy and love of photography. --SG
Post a Comment