Thursday, November 13, 2008

SLEEP IS LOVELY

Sleep is a lovely and wonderful thing, it is like heaven, it is SO helpful when it comes to keeping my sanity!

Our little travel swing died about 2 weeks ago - and with it so did any semblance of sleep for me.

Kels has been a lot like Kaeli was as a baby - always wanting to be held and always wanting to sleep in her swing - day & night. When the swing died we thought it would be a good time to try to let Kels just sleep on her own - not burrito wrapped - and in her own bed (well, the one in our room anyway) My sanity must have been slipping by then already - needless to say it has not gone well....
I have spent many nights up with her in the last 2 weeks sleeping off and on - 30 minutes (maybe) on and hours off. Two nights ago it kind of really got to me. She was extra fussy and no matter what I did for her it didnt help. I went back to the burrito wrap and a bottle during the night - which she hasnt needed for ages. When she was really tiny I sometimes could get her to sleep if I would hold her - she & I would march out to the library with pillow and blanket in hand, I would bundle her up and let her sleep in the crook of my arm - and we would both sleep. Two nights ago that didnt even work. I finally decided to pull out the dead swing, burrito wrap her and hand rock her in the swing - which helped her sleep only as long as my arm held out while I was still conscious - the minute I dozed and the swing stopped she was awake again...I think I counted about 2 hrs of sleep spread out through the night in little snippets.
After having her crying and fussy all day yesterday I finally got her to nap in the late afternoon - again by hand rocking her in the swing. She must have been as exhausted as I was because she finally went to sleep - for a couple of hours - I was so thankful the boys had also settled down that I was able to nap for a little bit too.
After such a long night & day and 2 weeks of this, desperation had set in. I got on the computer and sent out a plea for help to friends who I thought might still have a full sized swing in their possesion. I was so thankful to get so many responses from friends. A great big thank you to all of you who were so quick to come to my rescue!
Last night we were really still struggling even with the swing. I bundled her up and fed her a bottle WHILE she was swinging. She still cried and cried - and that along with everyone else in meltdown mode and being in chaos I thought for sure I was going to have a breakdown, and we were in for another long night with everyone, including kels, even having her in the swing.
I am so happy I can say that she and I slept tons better than we have for a VERY long time - thankfully so did everyone else, once they got settled down. Kels & I actually slept for several hours at a time - with her waking a couple of times but going right back to sleep. She is also taking a long morning nap. Thank you A for letting us borrow your wonderful swing - it really has helped a ton already!
I woke so refreshed from having almost a whole night's sleep that I have done amazing things today already - I actually got in a shower! I got the boys to school on time. I took the time to make muffins with Ky - and was patient enough to let him try to do everything himself - that hasnt been the case for a VERY long time. I sat and read books to Ky and laughed and teased with him. It has been a really nice morning.
My energy is starting to wane already and it isnt lunchtime yet - but I really am doing so much better. Swings really are wonderful things - I remember going through this exact same thing with Kaeli - that swing with her was my only sanity and the only way we both got any real sleep. Kels apparently is going to be the same way. Kaeli grew out of it without much of a problem and I know Kels will eventually too - but for now being able to borrow the swing is a true blessing for both of us! Thanx A a TON! You are an angel!

1 comment:

Hesses Madhouse said...

Ahhh. Isn't sleep wonderful?! I've had a headache for the past three days and have slept terribly. This morning I woke feeling so great! Refreshed and ready to tackle anything. I can so relate to your frustration at sleep loss.

So glad you got the swing and that things worked out well.