Sunday, May 29, 2011

YES!!!! I COOKED LIKE MY BROTHER!

We have been cooking up a storm this last week because of all the extra guests we have had. I bought lots of fresh ingredients that didnt end up getting used. Tonight I got into a "real" cooking mood. I knew what I wanted to try, but was still unsure. My first job was to make a phone call to my brother. Anyone who has ever eaten at our house when my brother is visiting KNOWS what an amazing cook he is. He dumps and pours, and tweaks and twists, and pinches and plots, and always comes up with the most amazing meals.
I have never been that kind of cook, I have had to rely on recipes to the letter, and even then it is never anything "wow." I knew he would have great ideas and be able to help me make what I was picturing in my mind.

Kaeli took this pict of me on the phone with him. She snuck up on me and scared the beejeebees out of me when the flash went off right outside my peripheral. She thought that was hilarious.
With Sean's expert help and advice, I took this.....sauteed and oh, so good.
And this.....caramelized onions done to perfection that just melts in your mouth

And this.....shredded chicken slightly browned with garlic, parsley, and olive oil, amazing....

And made THIS! TA-DA! I wish I could fit one more pict on this post, the pict without the chkn is SO much more pretty! I wish a picture could include the tempting smells and the savoring of every bite. The fresh tomato gave it all just the right blend of flavors. I think next time I will also try to add something green - maybe broccoli bites, or diced green pepper.


I am really so very proud of myself. If for nothing else, but trying something that is completely outside of my comfort zone. A great big THANK YOU and HUGS to my brother for sharing his incredible gifts and talents with food across the miles. YOU ARE THE BEST! I would have never been able to do it without you! Will be sure to make it for you next time you come!

As I sit here and finish this, the house is filled with the aroma of handmade pizza smells - yummy yeast bread, sauce, spices....oh, so very yummy! Kaeli has inheirited her gifts with food from my brother. She cooks just like he does and she is VERY good at it. She is esp amazing with any kind of bread recipe. The house smells SOOOOO good. All in all, a very fun and productive night of food and fun!

2 comments:

Ringleader said...

Between this "Chicken a la Rory" and homemade pizza, I am sure to gain about 5 pounds tonight.

humming fun said...

I know how you feel. When I married I could not cook at all. Do you remember what I mess I was in cooking in high school? I now cook all the time. I have my fav. cook books but I can wing it most of the time. I don't even burn jello anymore. I am sad to say I passed my jello burning on to liz.