A friend recently posted on her blog a quote from some time ago. The jist of the message was remembering special times in your life. Can you think of the 7 most important dates in your life up until now? I am tagging the following fellow-bloggers - Kymberly, Allison, Amanda, Lish, Julia, Kenna, Denise - have fun!
Here are my most memorable dates:
July 4th - My birthday and my cousin's birthday are on either side of the 4th of july. All the time I was growing up we always celebrated our birthdays together on the 4th. When I was extra little I thought that I was so lucky that everyone was celebrating my birthday with me because there was always a big party and fireworks and everything. The first year after we moved to OR was probably the 1st year my cousin and I didnt celebrate together. I know we both missed it - and still do. It is something special we will always share together because of all the memories we had.
April 29, 1989 - The day I was baptized. I remember the whole experience leading up to my baptism was pretty traumatizing - friends and family turned their backs on me, a step- grandfather who would swear a blue streak and spout as much anti-mormon garbage as he could, esp in my presence. I never had the same set of missionaries twice, there was much I still did not understand, there was never any support at home, I attended church by myself every week and was never really accepted into my home ward. I cant say that I remember much of that day. I look at picts but cannot necessarily put memories with them.
What is important about that day is where I am now. It has been a long, hard road with more mistakes and wasted time than I can even begin to describe - but because of that decision that day - the rest of my life has been truly blessed - I have the gospel in my life and I am able to be the 1st one in my family to be able to give that gift to my children. Because of that decision my children are in being raised in a safe, happy, gospel-centered home. Because of the gospel I have been given a great gift and blessing of knowledge and truth. A gift that I can never deny, and that I know with every fiber of me is true. I know that I would be a very different person now without the gospel light in my life. I am grateful for it every day and to know that it has shaped me into the person that I am and the person that I hope to become.
July 21, 1993 - The day I married my best friend. Again, I think being so young and naive, the day is quite a blur for me. I didnt understand on that day where it would bring me. I have been blessed to have a strong, kind, patient, loving, forgiving man who loves me unconditionally and gives everything without expecting anything in return. It amazes me that he has put up with me all these years :) I know that I would be very lost without him. I am thankful every minute of every day that he is by my side and that we walk together through life's joys and tears, adventures and mis-adventures. He is my angel here on Earth and I am truly blessed to know that he loves me and that he is mine.
January 25, 1995 - The day our oldest daughter was born. In this I will also group in my other kiddos - July 9, July 22, Feb 4, May 10, May 15. Each of these dates holds cherished memories of a new little person that joined our family. Each of my children is a jewel and I am so thankful that I was given the opportunity to be their mother here on this Earth. I often have people ask me what it was like before I had children - I always tease that I slept alot more :) But it truly is hard to remember what it was like before they joined our life. When you have a child you dont just love them, you fall in love with them, and they change your life and your heart forever. Their personalities are all so different and each brings something special to our family and our home. They are a joy and a true blessing in my life.
Spring 2003 - My dearest aunt Mary passed away. She had been battling cancer for some time. It still came as a shock. She was beloved by so many of us in the family - esp us girls. Some of my most cherished childhood memories were spent staying in her home every Summer and learning to cook and play anything our imagination could come up with. My cousin and I came up with some pretty wild ideas - and Aunt Mary always encouraged us and enjoyed laughing and playing with us. She ingrained in me a love of cooking and baking - she was a master. After she was gone it was so hard when I would pick up the phone to call her and then remember she wasnt there. I still think of her - esp when I need help or advice with cooking or family history - we girls always knew that Aunt Mary could answer any question we ever had. She was a master of cooking, playing, baking, and family history, but most especially of loving. She is still dearly missed and I know she always will be.
April 2003 - This month held many changes in my life. It is funny that it ended up being right close to my baptism day - almost the exact date. Two major things happened - I walked away from a life of abuse and pain and the family who caused it, and I legally changed my name.
Both things caused great heartache and yet both things led me to to a life of hope and happiness and peace for myself and my own family - just like my baptism did.
I have had many different people voice their opinions about both events, but in the end both were my choices to make. No matter what anyone else thinks or says they can never understand the pain I endured from the things I went through, or the joy and peace of what my life is like now. Both have been positive choices with joy and safety and peace for me and my children. Knowing that I am living my life as I choose and raising my children in the safety and peace of the gospel and the safety and love of our home makes those choices all the more important. My choice to stand tall and strong and true, finally, have made all the difference to my children and to me - and that is the most important of all.
September 2000 - The day my first child entered kindergarten. She was so MORE than ready to go to school. I remember she told me she was fine and I didnt need to stay. I told her I was staying anyway - and then I cried and cried after I got home. She was a little snippet of a thing, with a "dorothy hamil" haircut, so tiny and yet so much more mature than her almost 6 years. She was already reading and already doing more than most of her peers. School was just what she needed.
Each time one of my kiddos goes to kindergarten I cry - for happiness and sadness. It is wonderful to watch the kids change and grow and learn and yet I want them to stay little and not change. I have another little guy in kindergarten again this year - it has been more challenging with him as he has always been our "special needs" kiddo. He has made amazing progress in many areas and still has concerns in others. He loves being there though and it makes me happy that he is happy and enjoying this school experience.
I love watching him learn new things and grow bigger and yet I wish I could hold onto this moment and freeze time, it is somewhere we will never be again with him. That thought of time ever changing, kiddos ever growing and learning makes my heart happy and sad - all the sweet memories of him (and the other kids) being small and of the past, and all the possibilities of the future rolled into one. When the heart is overflowing usually, for me, so are the tears.
I am sure there are more things that I could think of to add - but for now, these are the things that come to mind. I am looking forward to seeing what others post soon about your favorite and memorable dates!
1 comment:
I think this is my favorite post you're ever written. So many insights into who you are and why. I love it! You are an amazing person, and I'm glad to know you and call you my friend!
Post a Comment