I got a personal phone call from my surgeon tonight about a couple of tests results.
PETscan (specialized CT scan to look for cancer througout body) came back with cancer localized to breast tissue. He was very pleased about that.
Node biopsy came back positive for cancer. He seems hopeful that chemo will be successful in working on that though. He apparently fought hard for leaving my options open at their oncology team meeting today. He really fights to stay on the cutting edge and is working hard to do what is right for me vs doing "what has always been done". I am grateful to him for that.
He wants me to check in 1/2 way through treatments and we will reassess things and see if he wants to do surgery then or wait until all my treatments are completed. He is planning on doing a sentinal node test -removing just that node and possibly one close to it to verify if positive for cancer still - when I go to surgery and will make the final decision then if all the nodes will need to come out or not. He seems hopeful that the others will be able to be saved if it is just that one that is affected. This is a huge thing because if it is just localized to that one node then he can save the rest and remove the concern of lymphadema (damaging all nerves in that arm) that can be a painful, lifelong concern.
Tonight I am having bishop's wife come and take a look at the port site again. I have been pretty sick all day, and hardly been out of bed. The port site seems to be alot more painful, all the way up into my throat. Hoping she can see any outward signs if there is something wrong.
I will be contacting the oncology office tomorrow to see if I can gather info about the echocardiogram results. I will also check to see what the final plan for Friday and Saturday will be. Hopefully I will have more to post then.
3 comments:
I took pictures of the kids at testing... they did awesome! So excited to be able to grow and learn with you and your family.
Love you all!
So glad it is localized and the doctors are staying close to monitor what is best for you. Thanks for the update.
Rory, you will be proud if me-this is the first blog comment that I have done - ever! I am just sorry that it has to be under these circumstances. Knowing what Mom went through with her breast cancer, I can understand the anxiety, stress, etc. Please know that you are in all our prayers and that we love you!
Post a Comment