Big day today ...
Since we got permission yesterday to leave the IV in place overnight, we needed to "flush" it periodically. I guess that pesky blot clotting thing not only helps heal skin cuts, but also tries to heal openings in veins. Especially since the line was so small ("a 24"), there was worry that it needed to be flushed every few hours. Jill came over late last night and had to prod, massage, and squeeze to break the clot free and get some saline through the line. Four hours later (1am) it was my turn, and we were VERY disappointed when I couldn't get anything to enter. About to give up, we decided to try the second "port" on the IV line and for some reason that one worked fine. Odd. Four hours later (5am) we again couldn't get the saline to enter. We tried both ports, gentle massage, but nothing was working. Not wanting to give up on that line I tried calling Jill, who had offered to run over if needed. After ringing about 10 times someone picked up, then immediately hung up. I called again and it eventually went to a computer-voiced message. Next was a text message saying it looked like we had a clot, and could use her help. While waiting for a reply we tried the push some more, and voila! It started going in! After 5cc I sent another text to Jill saying "Never mind ... we got it." A few seconds later I got a return text message: "You must have a wrong number." Sorry. Oops.
Shortly thereafter I left for the Albany Veterans' Memorial Service and Parade (two separate events), so Rory will have to fill in the details on all her appointments. She was VERY appreciative of the sister in the ward to offered to drive her down to the hospital and stay for a few hours.
After finishing in Albany I drove back to the hospital and arrived about 30 minutes before our appointment with the surgeon ... and good thing I got there when I did, because he was running ahead of schedule and was ready to meet right then! He wanted to go over the MRI results with us in person, and discuss the plan going forward.
The MRI definitely showed the tumor on the left side, as well as several other "suspicious nodules" around the tumor. Since we're going with chemo before the surgery happens, there is some hope that the therapy will possibly eliminate those smaller spots. If that happens, then lumpectomy would be an option; if not, mastectomy will be likely.
The MRI also showed similar "suspicious nodules" on the right side. One of the exams today was a "focused ultrasound" to get a better idea of what is on the right, and the radiologist and surgeon both think they are nothing to worry about. So for now, no biopsy or surgery or anything scheduled for that side.
Part of today's ultrasound targeted the lymph nodes to see if any are already cancerous, and they think one of them is. Again, pre-operative chemo has about a 30% chance of clearing that up. During the main surgery they can do a "sentinel lymph node biopsy" meaning they inject a dye, and they can use the coloration / radiation to find which is the first (or "sentinel") node downstream from the cancer. The "sentinel" node is removed and biopsied immediately during the operation. If the results are negative for the cancer then they don't have to remove the rest of them. If the results are positive then there is a chance it has already spread so they remove all the nodes from that arm. Unfortunately that can cause other complications later on, so we're hoping to be part of the 30%. And it's nice to have a surgeon who is a self-described "maverick" when it comes to using this sentinel node procedure.
A ward member made some awesome home-made pizza for us for dinner, but since Rory doesn't do yeast or milk products we stopped to get her some Chinese from her favorite place. After two days of food restrictions she really wolfed down that treat! Too bad she can't have the pizza ... it was awesome. Kylan even went back for seconds!
I was able to get some homework done with the girls before they left for the local high school football game. What a blessing that others are willing to help with meals; we would have had cold cereal again otherwise. :+)
I guess that's about all I have for today. When she's feeling a bit better I'm sure Rory will update this entry with details from the other appointments.
(End Preston)
2 comments:
I don't know what to say...I keep typing something and then backspacing over it because I don't know what to say except I'm praying for you Rory! And please know that all the journaling that you do about this hurdle in your life will help others. Thanks for letting me be a part of it! Stay strong!
Not to nag or anything but it is time for a new update.
Post a Comment