Just another animal adventure update...
This morning when I went to check on our friend's property and livestock I took Ky along with me, he loves to go and help with the animals. When we got there I discovered that ALL the chickens were back INSIDE the enclosure – including the one that went missing all day yesterday. I walked the perimeter of the enclosure, just to be sure I hadnt missed a hole or something. Everything was as it should have been. Miracles do still happen - my prayer last night was that all of the chickens were there and inside their pen.
The cows were very aggressive this morning though – they were at the hay before I could even get the bails undone and fighting with each other to get to it. Ky wanted to come in and help me and when he bent over to pick up some of the hay, one of the cows turned and head butted him – hard. Then it tried to do the same thing to me when I went to help Ky. I scooped him up as quickly as I could and we went back out through the gate. He was crying and so was I. I keep looking at his eyes, and worry about the goose-egg right at his temple where the cow hit him…
I was in tears all morning, Ky just wanted to help, and it is my fault he is hurt because I had in there with me, not aware those dumb cows could be harmful….my fast today was centered around him and asking for blessings that he would be ok. All through church we kept a close eye on him and watched as the swelling on the goose egg at his temple went down, but green bruises kept showing up on his forehead and around his temple.
Will need to go back this evening and give them more hay and gather eggs. I will be sure to toss the hay OVER the gate vs going back in. I am pretty sure one of the cats is trapped in the garage, too. It may even be the mama cat, as I saw the black, and the orange/white tabby’s right at the corner where I heard sounds yesterday…unfortunately they are farm cats, not pets, so they bolted and disappeared before I could even try to help them. I hope I can get a hold of our friends so we can let her out.
Ky seems to be ok, other than all the bruises and the goose-egg - and the hives on the other side of his face where he slammed down in the field in the hay. Will have to watch those and maybe give him some benadryl.
....This post got interrupted..... Just got back from taking care of animals. Found out our friend's kids went out to the house today and let the cat out of the garage and got all the cats some food. We arrived to find 3 more chickens outside of the enclosure, and we only caught one of them because it was helping itself to the feed bucket in the shed. The other 2 ran out into the pasture - which was strangely quiet, with no cows to be seen or heard....
I think sometimes I am glad that I am not a "country girl" - chasing chickens and cows is not really my idea of fun. I am glad that others do think it is fun, because we have been blessed to share the bounty of fresh eggs, and homegrown beef. We are more than happy to help our friends whenever they need us, but it is good to come home and know we are done for awhile.
On that side note, we are looking forward to visiting some other friends with livestock and have the fun of a "petting zoo" at their house. We just found out they got 5 new piglets and the horses will be there at the house too. We will also be able to enjoy their great big dogs, a growing kitten and friendly chickens. I will be sure to take my camera and do a post about all of our fun after we visit them.
No comments:
Post a Comment