When I was getting ready to get on my bike I wolfed down some juice and trailmix that I had taken. I am so glad I did too. I wouldnt have even known about doing that if one of the tri coordinators had not shared her experiences with us. I am so glad she did. (TM #5)When I got going I realized that I had forgotten my ear muff (those of you who know me well, know that my ears do NOT do cold and it is usually really bad because it brings on migraines) The temps were really low with the time of day it was plus the heavy fog, and yet I felt completely wrapped in warmth (TM #6) The wind that blew past me was warm and gentle and my ears felt like they had earmuffs over them, I never felt the wind against them at all. The 1st half of the ride was not bad. I just kept trying to focus on pedaling and making sure I didnt wobble. When I got to the turn around point, though, the tops of my thighs were burning like crazy. I took time to get off and stretch and see if I could work out some of the ouch. I also downed some gatorade (usually I think that stuff is NASTY, but I must of needed it because it actually tasted good) (TM #7)
The 2nd half of the ride was HARD,with a capital H. I really struggled most of the way, and even had a spot where I had to get off my bike and walk (that didnt last too long though because I got too many people worried that I was not ok) As I rode back I sent silent prayers out, I knew I could not, would not, be able to make it back to the stadium alone. I started to have songs flow through my mind. As I looked at the solid white line along the road "Hold To The Rod" came to me - "Hold to the rod, It's strong and bright and true, twill safely guide us through....." That white line on the road was my rod, if I followed it I would be safely led back. It was bright and I needed it to stay on the right path and to stay safe. I sang until I couldnt remember the words, and then another song would come in its place. Another song that came through was the chorus from "The Prince Of Egypt" - it is one of our favorite movies and we watch it often. It seemed the perfect song for where I was at "There can be miracles when you believe, though hope is frail, it's hard to kill. There can be miracles you can achieve, when you believe, somehow you will, you will when you believe." The other lines flitted on the edge of my brain, but it seemed that the lesson taught in that song was exactly what I needed. I had completely given up on the thought of competing, I knew I wasnt prepared to do it. But because of a priesthood blessing, and trusting and believing that I was where I was supposed to be, miracles really were happening. The entire ride back was like that. Hymns came and went and even though I am a self-professed NON singer, I sang as loud as I could, focusing on the messages of the gospel principles that I was seeing in action right at that time. I know the people I rode past probably thought I was crazy, but it was the strength and re-focus of my heart and mind that I needed to get me back to the stadium. (TM #8) I found out that other sisters had similar experiences throughout the day...
The other thing that helped on the bike ride, esp on that long ride back, were all the cute little things the Tri coordinators had written on the road in colored chalk (TM #9) Just when I thought I couldnt do anymore, I would ride past a "HUGS" or "U R AWESOME" or "SMILE" - and I would smile or even laugh out loud at the funny/cute things. Those little words made all the difference because I knew that there were sisters who knew and cared about me, that they were thinking of me, and that I wasnt alone. Their small and simple act of kindness and love made my long, often lonely journey not so hard to bear. Times havent been posted yet about the bike portion, but I am guessing it was really miraculous because I know what time I was completly done...It will be fun to find out soon.
My transition time to the walk again included juice and trailmix. I was glad for the brief moment to stop, my legs felt really wobbly after being on the bike for so long. It took me a lot longer than I thought to get my legs under me, and I was kind of glad that I had 2 loops to work out the kinks. I was also again glad that it was not my job to worry about what time it was, or where I was. My only job was to walk, at my own pace, and only think about how I was doing vs worrying about how I was doing compared to others. I think this is the first time I have felt a real freedom in that area. (TM #10) I KNEW that someone else was keeping track of my time, my efforts, and making sure I was ok. I was free to concentrate, reflect and enjoy the moment that I was in, and not worry about what anyone else was thinking or doing, or if I was measuring up to others' expectations. It was a good feeling, a lesson I should work harder to make real all the time...
On the last piece of the last lap I walked, I was excited to see Preston & Ceana walking towards me. We were all worried that they wouldnt be done helping at the pool before I was completely finished with the race. I asked Ceana to take a pict, except she had put the camera away in the truck. They took the shortcut to the finish line to snag the camera while I finished my lap. It was really an amazing thing to see the families, and ward and stake leaders all there at the end, cheering and clapping. Ceana stood at the other side of the finish line to get picts and Preston was up in the stands cheering me on. It was so amazing, it made me kind of giggly and clappy (?)
This is the sister from our ward who has been our "mom" through the whole thing. She was also one of the main coordinators of this monster undertaking. While I was giddy with the fact I had actually done this amazing thing, she grabbed me into a bear hug, sobbing her eyes out, repeating "you did it, you did it!" It was very exciting and emotional for both of us. Not only were there tears, but she put in her own spunk and made us laugh just seconds later. Preston had come down out of the stands to me, and R saw him first. "There's your sweet guy" she said as he swept me into a hug and kiss, and in the same breath without missing a beat she said "get a room you two." We just laughed right out loud! It brought the lightness and joy to add to the tears of deep emotion. I found out later that she had waited and cheered everyone across the finish line, right down to the very last sister! That is the kind of person she is. Thanx R for everything, you have been an angel to all of us!
Well, here I am, award medal around my neck (darling things made by another sis in the stake) and still not quite believing that I really did compete AND finish! (and finish in a time that seems almost impossible to me) Preston helped me gather up my bike and bag-o-stuff, and I made a bee line for the bathroom (thanx to all the gatorade, juice, and water) and then to somewhere I could stretch. The tops of my thighs were burning because I had stopped moving at such an intense pace. I took some time to stretch and cool down a bit more. I also took some time to cheer on others who were transitioning or finishing as well. It was fun to do that for others as they came in and out of the stadium, it felt great to give some of what I had also received.
Preston and I did the ID marathon, and other sisters have also done other races. We all agreed how different this was, and how amazing it felt. The race was never about individuals, or about winning. It was about giving, supporting, encouraging, learning, growing and loving. It was about all of us helping each other to reach our goals and to finish together. All the months of training culminated at this wonderful day, but all of the friendships, giving, serving, teaching, learning, and love will last way beyond this day and time. Our stake has become "one" in many ways. We have become unified as sisters and friends, and have been given blessings and opportunities that though they started out being focused on the triathlon, have and will change our lives forever, probably in more ways than we will ever know. I am truly thankful to a Heavenly Father who inspired our stake leaders to do this, and for His not-so-gentle push for me to follow through and see this through to the end. I would have missed so much, including the lessons that only came during the race, and in the time that I have spent reflecting on everything. It is a time, and a special day, that I will never forget.
Just as a PS - the day didnt end there. I was spoiled to be able to come home to a wonderful, deep, jetted tub filled with hot water to soak my still sore legs. I also got to eat yummy pancakes Kaeli had made, and a got short nap while Preston helped the kids with homework. I was also surprised with beautiful "congrats" flowers from Preston's parents.
I also got to enjoy the friendship, sisterhood, and stories of all the other sisters who were in the tri at the special stake dinner that was held before the RS general conference broadcast. It was so fun, and emotional to listen to the sisters share some of their experiences about their training and the race. I was even brave enough to heed the again, not-so-gentle, prompting to share some of the TM that I had experienced. The broadcast was amazing and it was a joy to see the extra spunky mood Pres Monson was in, and to listen to him speak to the sisters around the world. The messages were sweet and inspired and there will be much to think about and remember.
It truly was a glorious day. It feels great to be so tired, and so happy at the same time. Knowing that the sisters of the stake came together to accomplish hundreds of wonderful things, both big and small, and that those things will be a blessing to all of us forever. Our stake will never be the same! Because of the ties and friendships formed throughout the wards, it will be more wonderful than ever and we will all be blessed because of it!
2 comments:
Yeah, You did it. So proud and happy for you. Six months ago we thought there was no way, but watch out world we did it and the rest is to be written....
Wow, what a stud!
Post a Comment