I took Ceana & Colton with me on Monday AM to take care of our friend's animals one last time.
We arrived to find the cows all accounted for, and 2 chickens still escaped from their enclosure - RATS! Between the 3 of us, we were able to flush them out of the pasture and closer to the house and barn. One of them ran between the barn and the garage so I had Colton and Ceana go around and block one end and flush it out towards me.
*Remember the cow chasing episode some months back? Me running around with a 2x4 and a piece of hose? This time it was me with a monster sized, sport fishing net....go ahead and laugh, everyone else has...
It worked though - I snagged that dumb chicken and twisted off the net (I learned my lesson the 1st day with the garbage can episode) and took it back to the coop.
The 2nd chicken gave us a literal run for our money. It decided to run back out into the pasture, but eventually got into the same place as we had caught the other one. No problem, right? Wrong. It ran crazy in that space and finally ran right at Colton, where he responded by jumping out of its way with a "mom, it was going to get me!" something or other. I just stood there and rolled my eyes (you should have seen them - yep, all the way into the back of my head). The kids chased it some more and eventually it ran right back to the coop. I think at this point Heavenly Father was done laughing His head off at us and showed some mercy...the chicken ran right through the doorway of the coop. Ceana ran in too, and I blocked the door with the net. She flushed it out while I got the door open. Whew!
All good and accounted for? Not quite- the lightest colored hen that I put back 2x was missing again....and there was nothing I could do about it. Crazy that these things always happen on MY watch...
We also had to deal with cows again. I went to the gate (where Ky got slammed) to get the hay ready to go. The big black cow that had knocked him over stood right behind the gate staring at me as if to say "come on through here, I dare you..." and if looks could kill, that cow would have had me dead. I told her "Fat Chance!" and got the hay ready to go over the gate from MY side. As I moved closer to the gate, so did she - coming right up to totally block the way even if I had wanted to try to go in...dumb cow. The kids and I took the bales apart and threw it over the gate, which resulted in hay in all of our hair and clothes, and sending Ceana into a sneezing fit (her alleries are so bad this year)
For all of our troubles, we were lucky enough to come away with more fresh, pretty eggs and another big tray of fresh blackberries. I have decided I am definately NOT a country girl though, and that is ok.
We are looking forward to going to our other friends' house tomorrow to love on all their animals. The kids are esp looking forward to seeing/feeding/grooming the horses (Ky thinks their Kai is named after him) and getting to see the new piglets. Of course running crazy with the dogs and snuggling the kitten will be tons of fun too. They have their own "petting zoo" which they are sweet enough to let us come and enjoy too. I will make sure to take my camera and there will be a fun post soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment