Sunday, September 26, 2010

IT'S OFFICIAL !!!

I am a TRI-ATHLETE!

I was certain a week ago that I was NOT going to do this...then I got a blessing and some other things fell into place and I was extended more tender mercies than I could count....

Preston dragged my sorry rear out of bed at 430am - yes that is AM. A friend of mine who teaches seminary says that waking up that early is called "waking up at the crack of stupid" - and I should have been feeling that way for even THINKING about competing when I havent been able to exercise for WEEKS. I wasnt though, I was strangely calm about the whole thing. (TM#1)
Preston & Ceana agreed to volunteer at the pool (wish I had picts of them too) so they dropped me off at the DHS stadium to get checked in and they were off to find out their duties. It was crazy being there so early, surrounded by other sisters who were also trickling in. The bikes were slowly being added to the rows that stretched from one side of the stadium to the other (there was an actual photographer at the event, we are supposed to have picts posted soon, hopefully there will be more I can share here too).
It really was strange for me to be so totally calm about the whole thing, I felt like that the entire day, and even after - like it was really just a memory from a dream - kind of surreal, it has been weird.
After I got all checked in I walked the block or so down to the DAC to get ready for my heat for the swim. I got there to find out that another sister who was in the same ward (before we split wards) was in my lane and only one other sister too. That had been a big concern for me, having to swim in a lane with 5 other sisters knowing I was going to be on my back - which meant slower than everyone else. Only having 3 of us in the widest lane was a miracle (TM #2)
We chatted briefly and watched the clock tick the minutes away until it was our turn. Finally the time arrived to start. Last minute instructions were given and then Preston had the fun of being the official announcer for the day. I think he enjoyed having that megaphone on loud and being the one to send everyone off! Ceana was also ready at her post where she was keeping track of time and counting laps for us (she was assigned to my lane!)
Ceana took this awesome shot of the lane I was in. It kind of gives the perspective of what it felt like - LONG...
During check in we were given instructions and all the stuff we needed for the race - including being "tatooed" in 3 places - literally someone wrote my race # and my swim heat/lane on my body (upper arm, right calf, right hand)This is me and my friend from the Mon 1st ward showing them off just before the race.

Both Preston & Ceana were assigned to my lane (TM #3) Preston snapped these off for me as I came to the end of the pool where they were. It is so hard to describe how I felt as I swam. The water was almost calming and relaxing (TM #4) and the fact that I didnt have to worry about watching my own time or counting laps just made things go even better. With just 3 of us in the lane all swimming at about the same speed, things really went well. We drifted a couple of times, but just laughed it off and encouraged each other. I was shocked when I was swimming and ceana told me I only was down to my final lap. It had gone by so quickly. Suddenly I was done and jumping out of the pool to dry off enough to get to my bike. I got a big hug and a very excited comment from a sister in our ward who has been like a mom to all of us during the last several months, she has been so great to all of us. I realized I was so focused on my next transition that I didnt even wave or get to say anything to Preston or Ceana, though.
Later in the day I got a chance to ask Ceana about my time - found out I did my 500 meters in about 17 min - which is only slightly slower than I was timed at 3 months ago. I was really excited about that - that my body remembered what to do, and that finding my own way of doing things, and my own rhythm had helped me be more successful than I had ever imagined! It was a really great feeling!

No comments: