It just seems to be our week for more adventure than I can handle. Earlier this week we had the keypad of the garage die, locking us out of the house. That same night we had several light fixtures/switches also die. Today we had to rescue a dog stuck under the deck.....
This morning right before church Oreo got himself stuck under the deck - on the south side. He had opened up several of the holes I had previously barricaded - or so I thought. Thankfully he came out on his own a short time later and I went ahead and filled in those holes - again.
About 1230 this afternoon LJ was laying right outside the sliding glass door whimpering, I thought he wanted to come in. Come to find out that he was whimpering because Oreo had gotten himself stuck again, and couldnt come out.
Ceana & I both went outside trying to get him to respond, trying to figure out where he was, and how he got under there again. Apparently he had dug another hole on the north side of the deck and got himself pinned in a section between 2 beams. While ceana tried to dig some more of the hole out I lay across the deck with the flashlight trying to see between the deck planking to see where he was. He seemed to have enough space to get out, but couldnt for a reason we could not see. Ceana & I worked for an hour trying to coax him out with food, and anything we could think of. Nothing worked. I called Preston to get his suggestions which was to call someone else for help. I ended up calling our dear friends the Jeffries. They came "en masse" bearing tools of all sizes to try and help us get things figured out.
While I had been on the phone with them, ceana had taken some self initiative (or the panic had finally set in) and had started to pry one of the deck boards up, which only worked to a point after we discovered that each plank was secured to EVERY beam under the deck......
Aaron arrived with monster tools - a pick ax, crow bar, etc to add to the shovels hoe, and screwdrivers we had already pulled out. Once we explained what was going on, and figured out that Oreo was in one specific spot between the beams, Aaron went after the west side foundation with the pick ax to try to get through the horrible clay soil we have here. I was uncertain it would work, and kept expecting him to hit the concrete foundation that was under other pieces of the deck. When we discovered that the concrete did not extend to where he was working he kept digging until he accessed the space where Oreo was. It still took some time before Oreo would come out and it took ceana shaking his food bowl and then yanking him out by his collar once he was within reach. Once Oreo was out, Ceana immediately took both dogs inside and put them in their pen. We all then proceeded to fill in the holes. I first filled in the hole as much as possible with dirt and rocks, then put a wooden beam across that, and then filled it in with more dirt. Christy worked on the other hole and I made sure it was extra secure. We even sent Ammon around to the front of the house for more of our large river rocks and filled in other holes all the way with rocks, and then with dirt, gravel and hog fuel.
All of this adventure took another hour besides the one ceana and I had spent before the Jeffries arrived. Aaron was so completely calm and even saw humor in the adventure, while I spent much effort to keep my emotions in check....
We gathered up all of the tools and walked the Jeffries out, thanking them profusely for rescuing us yet again.
Since the little kiddos got in on all the "fun" they were pretty dirty, so the minute we came in all of us ran through showers to try to get cleaned up.
Since then I have been in/near tears. I just cant keep it together anymore. It seems that we have had one thing after another happen and I am left feeling completely helpless, forgotten, and at the mercy of others' kindness because I cant seem to do anything for myself. Other's have needed to come to our aid 3x in just the last few days. I am deeply indebted to those who have come to our rescue, and also feel I can never do enough to show my gratitude or even come anywhere near close enough to repay the kindness and patience that has been shown to our family, and to me personally.
The tears flow for so many reasons, and this extra today has put me over the edge. I am unsure of how I will be able to handle the rest of the week, knowing it will be full of lots of extras.....
2 comments:
God has and DOES PROVIDE! You are never forgot and angels are standing by - even baring pick axes!
Wendy
thanks so much jeffries! we love our dogs!
Post a Comment