Monday, April 2, 2012

Clarification

There has been some confusion with one of the items on my "Sacrifice Is..." post

One of the items mentioned a husband caring for a wife in the hospital with terminal illness.
Just to clarify - THAT IS NOT ME (just a reminder that Preston was not with me at all besides ER and admitting because he was home with sick kiddos)

My 2nd day in the hospital I was moved to a new room. My  roommate was a sweet woman who had been rushed to ER and admitted with a diagnosis of MS and another rare terminal illness. Between the two diagnosis, she was told she probably wont have a long time.

Our room was flooded with physical and neuro therapists helping her just try to work on her basic life skills. Her sweet husband was with her most of the 2 days that we shared a room. She still had a long stay in front of her.

She was very sweet and we did a lot of looking out for each other while we shared that room. That time with her, even though very short, made my time in the hospital that much better. She was so amazing to have such a happy outlook even though she had so many challenges in front of her. It also made me realize that we each have our own trials, and I was reminded that mine were pretty small.

I realize that I could have done much more to chat with her and get to know her better in that short time. Sometimes it is hard to know how much to extend to another in that kind of situation. I know that even though that time was very brief, I wont ever forget her or her courage or her amazing perspective and attitude in the face of something so overwhelming.

I was the one blessed by her. Hopefully I can continue on with her example always in my heart and mind to do better with all that we still have ahead.

No comments: