Saturday, April 24, 2010

Demob #5

Today we were flown down to Medford for the last demobilization ceremony of the week. (There may still be one or two more next week.) This city went ALL OUT for their troops; as we drove by the armory the place was PACKED, even several hours before the official ceremony. We drove the couple of miles down the PARADE ROUTE they had laid out to the high school football stadium where the ceremony was held. At first I was a bit disappointed that we weren't marching in the parade with the troops, but I think it worked out OK as they asked us to play "When Johnny Comes Marching Home" as the companies paraded into and around the stadium in front of their friends and families. Very cool. I'm not sure the ceremony was performed exactly as it's spelled out in the regulations, but still it was very cool.

We were joined by a bagpipe and drum band (Army Reserve I think) so we traded off during the prelude and post-ceremony music. At every ceremony a lone bagpiper played "Amazing Grace" during the minute of "silence" to remember the two soldiers who were killed in action, so it was a special touch to have 12 pipers and 6 drummers for this ceremony.

Weather was great (ie no rain). Other than the snafu on our meals, things went off without a hitch! Success for the troops!

This particular ceremony was absolutely MOBBED by press folks, so I'm guessing there will be plenty of links to be shared.

KTVL (with a brief shot of the band)
KRDV
Southern Oregon NBC which notes the ceremony SHOULD have been even larger, but thanks to that ash cloud about half of the Soldiers will have yet another ceremony next week.
Photos from the local paper

No comments: