Friday, February 6, 2009

STUPID ROCKS II

Well, I thought I would go ahead and give everyone an update to what we found out this week. I went to my dr office on Wed - after having been told almost a week ago that there was no emergency so I would just be seen whenever.....I passed the stones Tues...

When I got to the Dr office our current doctor was pretty much clueless about what to do with me. She listened and took lots of notes - that was it. I told her about the meds I have been alternating - ibuprofen and pain meds - and all she had to say was "you prob shouldnt do that for more than a couple of days" - I HAVE been doing that for an entire week - what were my options for continuing to treat the pain and throbbing? Her answer - increase both meds by another dosage - what? We went out to the nurse and tried to schedule a CT scan - but that also went badly. Thankfully the hospital had an opening yesterday evening to fit me in.

I had a spiral CT scan done. The technician was quite a crack up - he was VERY personable and really easy to work with. He asked tons of specific questions and really listened when I answered them. The CT was easy and I was surprised when the technician led me back to the tech room and actually showed me my scan - normally the techs are not allowed to say anything and you are hustled out pretty quickly.

I was more than shocked to see multiple stones of multiple sizes in BOTH kidneys. Lovely.

I finally talked to my dr. late today - after multiple phone calls(1st one made at 830am), rude receptionists, and preston putting us on a conference call together with the doctor. We were both pretty fed up with how things have gone. Even on the phone call our dr acted as if she was barely reading the report as she was talking to us. She seemed "ho hum" about the number and sizes of the stones (oh, 2mm, that would prob hurt) DUH - been there done that the last week - and yes, by the way, it DID hurt. The report also said that I have a 9.3mm stone in the left kidney - that is a big YIKES and reason enough for a serious discussion about needing a specialist ASAP. All she could do was say - well, yes,this prob means you should see a specialist - Preston had already CALLED to find a new specialist - and point blank told our dr that she needed to send a referral over TODAY to the new office so we could try to get in. The whole thing was just ridiculous. After that phone call and after multiple experiences like this in recent months for both of us we have decided we are going to find a NEW family practitioner for both of us. I made that phone call tonight too.

So, at this point we are waiting - again. Both of us are very frustrated that things have just dragged and no one is taking me seriously about the immediate concern of having more stones get stuck while everyone else is twiddling around. Preston verbally expressed his concern and worry for me while we were on the phone - he is usually pretty calm about everything - so watching me go through this all week has really thrown him. (Sorry sweetie for making you so worried.) I told him he is my conquering hero for lots of things he has done this week - battling for me on the phone is just one more reason why I love him and that he is my hero.

BTW - if any of you have never seen a stone - I did keep the ones I passed - they are ugly little things - and my pict isnt very good - but thought you might like to see - The pain these 2 stupid things caused is beyond description - I shudder to think if we have something happen with that bigger stone while we are in holding pattern....

1 comment:

Stutz Family said...

I want to cry for you! Kidney stones are the absolute WORST experience in the entire world! I wish we were closer so that I could help out. I'm so sorry!