Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Iron Infusion # 4 & #5

I havent gotten a chance to post for awhile. Need to catch up on last couple of appts.

Two weeks ago, we got lucky. The hot packs helped my veins cooperate and the line went in on the first try. The trick was keeping it going while it was in. It started throbbing in my arm and the nurse had to disconnect and re-flush the line - which sent the taste of the saline directly to my mouth. It was very unexpected and not pleasant at all. She ended up adding another bag of saline to the line and running it slower. Once that was done, the rest was pretty uneventful. The one unexpected thing came after I got home - normally I bruise at the IV site itself. This time the bruising occurred where the throbbing had been so bad - totally away from the injection site. It was a fairly long bruise and when I showed it to the nurses last week they were very surprised. I continue to baffle them with all the odd occurrences I seem to have with everything.

I wish I could say that we had as easy of a time last week. Friday was Colton's birthday so we had him come down with me, thinking it would be a fun 2hrs to eat a yummy breakfast and play games. Our day didnt quite go according to plan though.
Preston came and got Colton to go get breakfast, thinking they would get back after my IV was in and going. When they got back, however, one attempt (with lidicaine) had been made and had failed. A 2nd try was made in my wrist, with a painful no go. During all this time, we tried to eat breakfast and start a game. By the 3rd try, though, I think that Preston & Colton had enough of watching me get poked and preston took him out to the waiting area to make some phone calls.
A long wait started again, with BOTH my arms hot packed with wet washcloths and heating pads and an extra nurse from the floor was called in.
When the hot packs came off, finally, one vein came to the surface. The new little nurse did a pretty quick job of things, again using the lidicaine, and got the line in and running clean.
By the time the line was in, we had gotten a surprise phone call from preston's parents that they had flown in early and were coming to get colton to go to lunch. Dad took Colton to lunch and then home, and mom stayed at the clinic with me. Preston went back to work, knowing he would be staying late because of how the morning went.
Things were pretty uneventful for remaining 2 hrs, other than needing and extra saline pouch and it seeming like it was taking forever. Mom & I just chatted and planned for the activities and menu for Colton's big day.
I think I really gave the gals a run for their money - 6hrs, 4 tries, 4 nurses, extra meds, etc made for a VERY long day for all of us.
I think that the nurses on staff, as well as myself, will be glad that this week is our final go of things (at least that is our hope) I have really caused so much concern each week for them, and rattled more than one nurse there in the clinic. I am not looking forward to my appt on Friday at all. Will just try to be prepared to do the best with what I have to take on and hope the rest of the weekend is more quiet.

Just a little PS - I havent written at all about my PT appts that started several weeks ago. My progress has been slow and painful. I was sent home this week with a portable electric stimulus machine to try to keep the pain levels more bearable between appts. I talked with my specialist again today about what the next plan will be. If he does not see considerable improvement in the next few weeks, x-rays, CT's and MRI's may be on the schedule. I am grateful that he is so kind and patient and that the cute gals on his staff are all wonderful. It makes things a lot easier knowing I have help and support when I need it. I will try to keep current on posts about PT etc, esp if I end up needing more in-depth tests run.

No comments: