Wednesday, October 21, 2009

1 DOWN, 3 TO GO

Well, last night was my first photography class for the older scouts. I was so nervous, and spent most of 2 days pouring over my work, doing research, and making hand-outs. I am feeling so unqualified to teach someone else something I am still learning myself.

I was able to teach a good group of young men, and unexpected leaders who decided to "drop in" on my class. The YM were great though. They asked really great questions and seemed very interested in the discussion and presentation. I felt like I rushed through things - only having an hour to cover lots of material. I got "rave" reviews though and everyone seemed pleased with what we accomplished.

It seemed to me that at least 1 of the YM is VERY interested in photography and already has some good experience behind him. I am hoping I can do more to help.

I got the fun class out of the way first. The other 3 classes are going to be on the technical side of photography - technology has always been my weak subject. I think I have enough info, knowledge and experience now that the class about using light should be ok. The other technical stuff is going to be harder, though, and I am glad I am going to have a month to prepare.

I am learning alot in this experience though. The more research I do, the more I am learning too. I think I may come away learning much more than I started with. It seems photography really is a never ending genre of learning. The more I learn, the more I find out there is still MORE to learn. What a fun adventure to know I have found something I love, and that will never get boring - because I will NEVER know it all, there will always be something new and different to experience.

Anything you fellow photographers want to chip in, feel free, I know there is way more out there than I can teach in an hour, but the best tidbits I can share will be great. Wish me luck!

No comments: