Tuesday, January 20, 2009

TRUE LOVE

Awhile back I did a post about all the things I love about my kiddos. I had one thing for every year of age. I dont think my husband would care for me to share his age with everyone, although he probably cares less about that than I would - just one of those "guy" things. I have been struggling a lot lately and I kind of cornered him the other day to have him tell me how I show him I love him,what things I ever do for just him,why he still loves me. He has been so wonderful that I thought I would take time to do the same for him. I know I am truly the luckiest person in the whole world to have him and hope this list will tell him so.

1) He is kind and patient with me - ALL the time. No matter how emotional I get he is always so patient.

2) He stays calm and patient when he cuts the kids hair and nails - even when they are screaming hysterically while he does it. It is funny that they do scream, esp since the kids will only let him do these things for him, not me. He never even bats an eyelash during their fussing, which is probably why they let him do these things for him.

3) He has never been on the bandwagon about nicknames for the kids. They all have one - and he never uses them. Well recently he came up with one of his own for Kels - he has officially named her the "tubby princess". When I realized what he was calling her I had to laugh. She is a super chunk and he has always said she would be the little princess. He is her little princess and I think it is sweet that he thinks of her as such.

4) He takes time to help the kids with their homework - esp the girls. It is amazing to me that no matter what the girls bring home that he can help them. It usually ends up being play time for them too - I will hear them laughing which makes me happy to know he is helping them get through math stuff in a postive way.

5) He takes time to play games with the kids. Preston LOVES playing games and the kids have followed his example. It is their special time with him and it is great that he is always willing to find that time.

6) He works harder than just about any person I know. He had a big project go awry this week and he is doing everything he can to put it right, on top of work that he had to go all the way to Colorado last week to retrieve. He always gives his very best at work or in his unit. He is a wonderful example to me.

7) He serves with all his heart, might, mind and strength. Whenever he is asked to do something at church, or for bishop, or to help others he is always right there. He goes the extra mile to be sure things are done to the best of his ability. He also serves me and the kids. No matter what we may need he is always here for us.

8) He gives everything and expects nothing in return. He is a true example of how to give unconditional love. He never judges, he never fusses. He amazes me with this gift of love.

9) He is willing, and able, to do any house jobs that I might need help with. When he can be home he does his best to try to help where he can - with kiddos, house, whatever - all I have to do is ask, and more often than not I dont have to ask. He is a great example to the kids, and esp our boys, that helping share the responsibilities of our home is an important thing.

10) He can find anything, anywhere. Whether the kids need to look up something for school, or I need help finding photography stuff, no matter what it is - he can find it AND find the best price! He amazes me with this ability.

11) He is an awesome "techy". I am not technical in any way, shape or form - in fact that stuff frustrates me to no end. He calmly just rolls over on his office chair and says "let me help" or "if it bugs you, give it to me". He can figure out any software program, any complicated manual, dicipher any gobbedly-gook, design business cards and forms, and so much more that most others cant (esp me). He can understand it and find ways to show and teach me in a way that I can understand. He takes over the things he knows totally drive me bonkers just to keep me sane and to show how much he cares.

12) He runs errands for me. With photography stuff taking off - and the store in corvallis - he is always willing to run errands and help me any way he can. He also is willing to meet me at appointments to take care of kiddos when he can get away from work. He continues to give me help and support in any way he can, and does it happily, even though I can be so difficult sometimes.

13) He has inheirited his mom's "energizer bunny" genes. It seems that he can stay at something long after I am ready to call it quits. He goes and goes and gets so much accomplished. It is something I admire about both him and his mom.

14) He still looks at me as if I were 16, with great love shining in his eyes. I have even had others comment on how he looks at me - no matter where we are. I have a good friend that has esp noticed and commented to me about it several times. It amazes me that after all these years - and all the changes I have gone through after having so many kiddos, that he really still looks at me like he did when we just met. Pretty amazing.

15) He can still laugh like a little kid. When he is with the friends we grew up with I watch my grown husband turn into a little boy again. It is wonderful to hear him laughing and to watch him enjoy and renew those friendships. It isnt often I get to hear that laughter from him, so it is a special gift to me when I do. A big thank you to our dear friends from school who help give me that gift!

16) He dearly loves our children. When I asked him to tell me 10 things I have given him to show my love for him, the very first thing he said was "well, there are 6 right out there in the other room!" He takes special care with them to show them that he does love them - he plays, leads, helps discipline, tucks them in bed, reads them stories, plays games, plays piano, sings silly songs, and does so many little things to show them, and me, how dear they are to him. It is a true blessing in my life to know how much he does love them.

17) He can pack the van - no matter how much stuff we have. When we went to Utah in October we ended up doing some Christmas shopping - and then had to figure out how to get it all home. All I saw were stacks of stuff, everywhere, and most of it odd shaped or bulky. I thought for sure we would need to mail things home. Again, he used all those amazing skills of his, and got every last thing to fit into the van to bring home with us. He is incredible.

18) He can turn his hand to just about anything. Leaking faucets - fixed. New yard landscaping design and completion (with the help of his parents) - AWESOME! Broken fish tank, easy. It seems that no matter what it is, he can handle it - and in the off chance he can't - he always finds the perfect person who can. Things like this drive me crazy and it only takes him minutes to make repairs or "fix" whatever might be needed. Amazing.

19) He takes time to attend all the kids school things and extra activities. He commented recently that no matter what activity or event, they will always find us to be their front row cheering section. Sometimes that has meant "divide and conquer" when the kids have had awards ceremonies or other activites at the same time, in different places. I know that it means so much to me, and even more to the kids to know that he is always there for them and to give his love and support in all that they do.

20) He is my dearest friend, and my dearest love. I know that I would be lost and very alone without him by my side. He is truly my better half. Because of him, his kindness, patience, love, & understanding, I am able to be better. He helps and encourages me to be a better "me". He is still the one that makes butterflies go crazy in my stomach when he kisses me, he is the only one who can make me smile through the darkest moments, he is my strength when I think I cannot go on by myself. He is my greatest joy. I know that I am truly blessed because he is part of my life, because he is my life and my everything.

4 comments:

Charisse Baxter said...

See?!? THIS is why I'm still single. How in the world am I supposed to find a guy as great as one of my brothers? Not possible!

Ringleader said...

Actually I'm not all that great ... Rory just left out all the bad parts. :+)

Charisse Baxter said...

Hi. Remember me? Your sister? I GREW UP with you. I already know all the bad parts! And they are totally canceled out by the sheer MULTITUDE of good parts!

(And if anybody asks, someone hacked my account and left this comment for you. IT WAS NOT ME.)

Ringleader said...

Oh, but I've been working for years on some really good, new, "bad parts."