Sunday, May 2, 2010

Maybe I DON'T Want To Be A Country Girl....

I was all excited to do a post about all the fun animals we have been asked to help care for in the last couple of months (WAY cute picts to come soon)...thinking it really would be wonderful to live in the country and have all of those animals ourselves....I was thinking that until this afternoon....

Two of our home teaching families own livestock. Occasionally we are asked to help care for animals if our friends need to be out of town. This weekend we were asked to help care for cattle and chickens. Everything has been fine, until this evening when I went up to care for all the animals.

I had checked on the chickens, and the cats (way cute picts coming of the barn kittens) and then went to get the hay for the cattle. As I was getting the hay into the feedbox I looked over and there was a COW standing in the back yard - OUTSIDE of the pasture. I just stood there and said to myself "you have got to be kidding me, how in the world did she get out?"

It was a cow on the loose....the closer I got to try to direct it towards the pasture gate...the faster she bolted in the WRONG direction. I chased the dumb thing around the house twice (with a 2x4 in my hand) and it bolted towards the road instead towards the open gates. I finally, verbally, begged to Heavenly Father to help (I was alone, with no cell signal) to tell the dumb cow where she needed to go. I chased her to the road again and flung the front pasture gate wide open and shooed her around the yard (with a piece of rubber hose in my hand this time) and she finally headed, calmly, towards the open gate and then through it and into the pasture.

I got the gate closed and locked and then spent another chunk of time walking the perimeter fences (while trying to avoid fresh cow you-know-what) to see where she had even gotten out. Oh, forgot to add that while I was doing the perimeter check I was again verbally thanking Heavenly Father for answering my prayers immediately (we had a going theme today in sacrament meeting about prayer)...How do you think this story would go over in sacrament meeting? Will have to remember to share it next fast sunday? hahaha

When I felt safe that everything was secure, I started counting heads so I could confirm #'s when I called and talked to Bro Meade...I just knew when I called that he would tell me that there was supposed to be one less and that I had herded someone else's cow into the wrong pasture....actually it WAS one of his cows and I still really have no clue where she got out, she possibly squeezed between some wide barbed wire, sounds like she has pulled this stunt before....
I was exhausted and covered in hay and yuck by the time I was done....and I confirmed with Bro Meade that I am NOT a country girl....thankfully he laughed with me....dumb cow....

1 comment:

Ringleader said...

Would have been a great pic ... you chasing a cow around with lumber and a hose.